Aviation photography - which camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sardine, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Sardine

Sardine TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    My main focus is aviation photography. I've been using a Fujifilm S8000 for about 2 years now, and I think it's time to bite the bullet and upgrade. Now my question to you is; what's an ideal upgrade? I take photos of static aircraft, as well as some air-to-air, air-to-ground, and ground-to-air. With the ground-to-air photos, I'm normally about 20m-80m away from the aircraft (100m+ when at airshows).

My budget isn't huge, so I can't afford those very juicy lenses all the professional aviation photographers have. I just want something that will get the job done nicely. My knowledge isn't that great either, so I'd like something relatively basic (I am willing to learn though!).

A friend said I must look at a secondhand Canon 450D with a 18-55mm lens. He then advised me to get a Sigma 300mm once the bank balance is in the green. Yay, nay?

I've also been looking at the:
    Canon EOS 1000D
    Nikon D60
    Nikon D3000

Had a look at the Sony A 230 and A 330, but I'm leaning more towards Nikon and Canon.

Please note that I live in South Africa.
    Budget is about R6000, R7000 at a push. So, approx $800 or 500 Euro.

Thanks in advance.

2. wescobts

wescobts TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Having never shot from the air to ground, but was going to until I heard the price of air time, ouch ! The pilot told me if I had a nice zoom, it would be good, I have a 70-200 which I was going to use. Maybe someone will chime in who knows a little better. I'm a Nikon guy, so I will tell you to go with a Nikon, but other brands are good also.

3. altitude604

altitude604 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I started with a Fujifilm S5200 and this Summer I upgraded to my Canon 450D.

Does great for aviation, if you pick up the 55-250mm zoom that works good as well.

You can check my flickr for some examples I've taken while at work.

4. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Uh....which Sigma 300 mm. You have quite a selection. The best will set you back about $5000
    • 300 mm APO f/2.8 EX DG (about $5000)
    • 120-300 mm f/2.8 DG ($3200)
    • 100-300 mm f/4 DG ($1200)
    • 70-300 f/4-5.6 DG Macro for Nikon ($160, but a cpos, imo)
    • 70-300 mm f/4-5.6 DG OS ($209, and only marginally better than the above Macro)
    The D3000 is probably replacing the D60 soon. I have a D60 and it's a good little camera, but being more recently released the D3000 has a better auto focus system.

I see Nikon is offering the D3000 as a kit with 2 pretty nice (focus wise)starter lenses, the AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR and the AF-S 55-200 mm f/4-5.6G VR. They are offering a $100 instant-rebate.