Awww... da widdle wens is so cutesy wootsey!!! :)

[Subliminal suggestion mode]

Sigma 150mm macro... and it is a lot less than 1800.......and
this one works with sigma teleconverters too :)

[/Subliminal suggestion mode]

My friend just got the Nikon 60mm f2.8 and she's gotten some amazing shots with it.

No doubt, you could too with the 60mm, however, you will find that to get good macro shots, you have to get very close (remember how close you had to get with your 18-50 for maximum size?), well not that close, but not that far either.

The 105mm will be better than the 60mm in that for you both to get that 1:1 magnification, the distance away from the subject while using the 105mm will be greater. This becomes important when you are photographing something live that you could scare with your lens if you get too close.

Also, and I am speaking with experience... that 105mm Sigma is awesomely sharp.

jph0080.jpg

bee_nice.jpg

Right now I have the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8, but it's not a true macro (believe me, I'm NOT complaining, it's still a great lens).

It's a great lens (I have it too). It's a 3:1 macro, not a 1:1 macro, but for what it does, it does REALLY well.

What about the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro?
Is the extra length worth the difference in price?

What about the Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro?
Is the extra length worth the difference in price?

when I revamp my macro set up.... I'll be going 150mm.... for me even 105mm is a little short...

The only thing that might change my mind is the VR on the Nikon 105mm... I've been hand holding a lot a macros lately and would love to see how the VR could help me.... Handholding @ 1:1 is pretty shaky...

also FWIW the CA on my copy of the Sigma 105mm 2.8 is pretty bad... and it sounds like a small tank when focusing... now that I think of it... I'll most likely get the Nikor 105mm

when I revamp my macro set up.... I'll be going 150mm.... for me even 105mm is a little short...

The only thing that might change my mind is the VR on the Nikon 105mm... I've been hand holding a lot a macros lately and would love to see how the VR could help me.... Handholding @ 1:1 is pretty shaky...

also FWIW the CA on my copy of the Sigma 105mm 2.8 is pretty bad... and it sounds like a small tank when focusing... now that I think of it... I'll most likely get the Nikor 105mm

I had mentioned my friend earlier who had gotten the 60mm. She had the Sigma 105mm and sold it and got the Nikkor 105mm FOR the VR. She liked the VR a lot better than not having the VR.
I'd love a macro lens that would allow me to stand a bit of a distance from a bug and get in close with the lens.
It'll be cool to get shots of bugs, but they freak me out like nothing in this world.
Except for sea creatures.
Anyway, you can imagine I want to be pretty far away from them, but get nice, sharp shots.

Well I do like the working distance of my 150mm - though I have to say one thing that helped tip the scales was the fact that it is compatable with sigma teleconverters - and the 1.4 is almost perminantly on with my 150mm - it helps boost magnification which is a real boon when shooting the smaller insects with almost no loss of quality.

Well I do like the working distance of my 150mm - though I have to say one thing that helped tip the scales was the fact that it is compatable with sigma teleconverters - and the 1.4 is almost perminantly on with my 150mm - it helps boost magnification which is a real boon when shooting the smaller insects with almost no loss of quality.

Good point.. I don't know much about teleconvertors... but do you still get 1:1 when using one??

A teleconverter increases your magnification - not 100% certain of the increase specifically, but I think its the same as the increase in focal length - so a 2* teleconverter will give you 2:1 macro.
However whilst a 1.4 is a good increase with little sacrifice the 2* is a different creature - firstly quality (at 100%) does suffer a bit, though its certainly acceptable. the biggest problem is that your depth of field is now very small - and the area of focus when taking the shot is razor fine - makes it very very hard to shoot handheld - so a fun combo for a tripod shot and either longer shutter speeds or photostacking (or good angle on the subject)

Hence I like my 1.4 when I go after smaller bugs as I can get a little bit closer to them - for large bugs (butterflies) its not a concern since most times (though not all) one is aiming for a full body shot - which is out in 1:2 areas

Most reactions

Back