B-17G Flying Fortress in flight

SpaceNut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
;) The B-17G Flying Fortress. I apologize for the pictures not being the sharpest. My 1st time taking photos of planes in flight. I didn't want to miss this opportunity and also wanted to share these with everyone, especially those who remember. C/C welcome! Thanks for looking.

#1 Couple of crew members inspecting & packing before take off

B17G-inspection-before-take.jpg

#2 Taxing to the runway

B17G-taxing-to-runway-4974.jpg

#3 Waiting for take off

B17G-waiting-totake-off-49.jpg

#4 On take off

B-17G-on-take-off-5086.jpg

#5 Taking off

B-17G-taking-off-5096.jpg

#6 Flying Fortress in flight

B-17G-in-flight-5105.jpg

#7 And it was time to say goodbye to our visitors

B-17G-farewell-5124.jpg

Great shots, beautiful bird. I always thought the B-17 and the F4-U4 Corsair were the sexiest planes of the war. P-51 a close 2nd. If I might make a suggestion, try a slow enough shutter speed to get the props blurred. The visual of motion helps with flight pix, otherwise they almost look static. Practice your panning technique and the plane will be crystal sharp even with slower shutter speeds. Good work overall, keep it up and post more.

Thanks for the advice. I'm still new at this and I need all the help I can get.

These massive monsters of the runway are awesome. Nice series. Thank you for sharing.......

not bad but next time try them at 200th of a second to get some prop blur

LP, thanks for the advice (which I can always use, that's why I like the Forum). I hope to get to see them again if they come back.

Nice shots of that B-17. :thumbup: I, as well, like those WWII aircraft. I have to add the P-38 Lightning and the newer Vietnam to date, A-10 Thunderbolt (Warthog) ;)

Thanks for the comments. These planes were in the Kankakee & Bradley, IL area at our local airport for a few days. I can't wait 'til they return next year (hopefully)!

o nice. i think i saw a plane JUST like that flying here around the Palwaukee airport. i drove by there and there was a mass of people around it.
great pics btw

I went to the Evergreen Aviation Museum last weekend (home of the Spruce Goose). I wish I could have gotten better pics, but unfortunately pretty much everything is packed into the hanger. The B-17 is probably my favorite plane ever.

I was fortunate that the planes were not in a hangar, but outside. Only drawback was that the area in front of the 3 planes lined up was roped off so close and I couldn't get a a very good front shot. Of course, I didn't want to get run over by the smaller planes landing & taking off either. Thanks!

The B-17... I remember I had a small toy B-17 when I was a kid and I showed it to my grandfather. He had been transported to Germany for forced labour in WW2 and was made to work in an airplane factory (he met my grandmother there... but that's another very, very long story).
He told me how scared everyone was when those things flew over, throwing out bombs. I never liked any war toy ever since...

Jeroen:
A lot of people were scared & suffered during WWII and I don't think there are a lot of people who can brag about the "good times" of the war. I got to meet & talk to some of the "older" men who flew in these planes during the war. The look on their faces & the look in their eyes bring back some unpleasant memories for them. Seeing the planes & the history reminds me that we paid a price for the freedoms we have today all over the world. Thanks for the comment!

Some nice shots of a true Warbird. My advice for "prop blur" is actually 1/60th, this will normally give you a complete prop arc. Good job!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back