B-24J Liberator series

SpaceNut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went back to the Kankakee Airport today to see the planes for one last time and they were getting ready to leave. I got to talk to some elderly retired servicemen who actually flew in these types of planes during WWII. The look in their eyes reveal unforgetable memories. I felt honored meeting them! C/C welcome!

#1 The B24J Liberator (just before leaving)

B-24-Liberator-on-display.jpg

#2 B-24J Liberator

B-24-Liberator-4858.jpg

#3 The B24J Liberator

B-24-Liberator-4864.jpg

#4 One of the engines of the B24J Liberator

B-24J-Liberator--engine-.jpg

#5 Taxing to the runway (to leave)

B-24J-taxi-to-runway-4944.jpg

#6 Taking off

B-24J-on-take-off-5045.jpg

#7 On their way - farewell!

B-24J-on-their-way-5061.jpg

Those are sweet!

Yeah, I remember a while back a B-17 came into the local airport. They were on a tour and doing rides for $400 a pop. Well, as I was taking pictures this old man (in uniform) walked over to the young pilot of the plane and was basically telling him he used to fly these in WWII and how he didn't have money for a flight but really wanted to ride in one...

I felt for the guy, I don't know if they gave him a ride, but I would have let him go up for free!

You are right about the cost. I was told that it cost $4000.00 per hour. Now I understand why the cost for a trip. A maximum of 10 passengers on 1 trip for approx 30 mins. All personnel are volunteers and it costs to maintain these beauties!

Wow Steve, I am impressed! You are showing much improvement on you capabilities of photography. Great series, and I am jealous that I wasn't there with you.

Well, Spacenut! What a great series. You have doen some fine work here. There was a day these dominated the skies and thank you to all the brave men (and maybe woman) who did such a great job.........

It's amazing that those things even got off the ground :) Again, nice shots of that vintage bomber :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back