B&H Photo Experience?

But the experience still applies
icon10.gif

Hi All. I am very new to the field. I have just been using a lot of photography in my marketing work and decided to upgrade my equipment so I can get better interviews with the H4N, a continuous external light, the IKAN 144, along with a new D800 in order to post to websites and Youtube. I got the D800 so I can also work into wedding landscape/portrait photography and keep my expenses down on lenses due to the tremendous opportunity to zoom into the part of the photo that I want to use and discard the rest.

Anyway, with that said, I know that I am a complete newby and I wondered if it is normal practice for B&H PhotoVideo to discard the boxes before shipping. I only received a box around the D800. The H4N and IKAN didn't have boxes. When I asked B&H about this, they said I didn't need the boxes because I already have the serial # on the packing slip. If I need to sell them, it would be good to have the boxes. They responded by telling me that I needed to contact the manufacturer.

Is this common practice and does it matter that I have the boxes? Any input is greatly appreciated.

It is not unusual to receive some items without boxes, if the manufacturer ships in bulk type containers to the reseller. I assume you got the documentation that goes with the items? Were the items you ordered new, used, or refurbed?

B&H is very well thought of.. they have a very good reputation! I personally have a ordered quite a few items from them with never a problem.

Also, sometimes in the forum world, you are better off opening a new thread, rather than bringing an ancient thread back to life.

They replaced a tripod that got lost in the mail with no problems at all. That's a plus in my books.

Anyway, with that said, I know that I am a complete newby and I wondered if it is normal practice for B&H PhotoVideo to discard the boxes before shipping. I only received a box around the D800. The H4N and IKAN didn't have boxes. When I asked B&H about this, they said I didn't need the boxes because I already have the serial # on the packing slip. If I need to sell them, it would be good to have the boxes. They responded by telling me that I needed to contact the manufacturer.

This has raised an eyebrow. Normally we ship new merchandise exactly as it's packaged by the manufacturer or authorized US distributor. Please email henryp[at]bhphoto.com with the B&H order number for this transaction so I can look into this. Thanks.

It is not unusual to receive some items without boxes, if the manufacturer ships in bulk type containers to the reseller. I assume you got the documentation that goes with the items? Were the items you ordered new, used, or refurbed?

I'd say it's damn near unheard of to get a new product without the original boxes...

Compared to other companies I have dealt with they are always helpful and polite. The live chat is a great feature.

This has raised an eyebrow. Normally we ship new merchandise exactly as it's packaged by the manufacturer or authorized US distributor. Please email henryp[at]bhphoto.com with the B&H order number for this transaction so I can look into this. Thanks.

And there ya' go.

The true measure of a company is how they deal with customer service issues, and it would appear as though B&H is on this one like ugly on a chimp.

My daughter and I have had numerous dealings with B&H, and every single one has been positive, from start to finish...

Most reactions

Back