B&W boat in the distance

Harpper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
There was a lot of strong light so I decided to settle for a silhouette instead of overexposing the sky. What do you guys think about this one?

boat4.jpg

wow! that is a panorama or a cropped version? but whatever it is... it is glamorous

Really nice. If I had to be super, super nitpicky then maybe it needs some burning on the far right side, but it looks pretty good as is.

mentos_007 said:
that is a panorama or a cropped version?
It's a cropped picture taken with a wide angle lens.

ksmattfish said:
If I had to be super, super nitpicky then maybe it needs some burning on the far right side, but it looks pretty good as is.
Thanks for the suggestion. The sun was on that right side along with a lot of light shimmering off the water, so I had a hard time trying to get a compromise exposure between the left and right side. I also thought about burning the right side but I forgot to ask if you guys actually liked the bright right side fading darker to the left side? That effect was one of the things that stood out for me. What do you guys think?

Anyway, thanks mentos and Matt for the comments. :D

Wow, I like the way you cropped it here. Very interesting image, and it is dreamy to look at. I'd agree it appears too bright on the right side, but it doesn't exactly ruin it for me. Nice work! :D

Beautiful work.... did you print this?

Thanks terri and danalec99 for taking the time to comment. :D

danalec99 said:
.... did you print this?
Only as a 4x6 just to see what it would look like on print. The crop makes it kind of small to see details at 4x6 though. ;)

Another wonderfull picture Harpper :) It has the whole shamoly, compostion, mood, tone. The mountains and clouds are wonderfull. I really like how the reflection in the water highlights the silhoueted ship and gets dark shortly afterward

edit: I think if you darkened the right side the picture it would loose a great deal of charm.

I agree the light half of the shot offsets the darkness of the ship nicely, if you were to darken it you might lose the detail.

I love the mountains by the way, the way they seem almost the same coulour as the sky with just the outline apparent.

Harpper said:
ksmattfish said:
If I had to be super, super nitpicky then maybe it needs some burning on the far right side, but it looks pretty good as is.
Thanks for the suggestion. The sun was on that right side along with a lot of light shimmering off the water, so I had a hard time trying to get a compromise exposure between the left and right side. I also thought about burning the right side but I forgot to ask if you guys actually liked the bright right side fading darker to the left side? That effect was one of the things that stood out for me. What do you guys think?

I think you could be absolutely right, although a little very precise burning on the boat itself might make it seem a bit more solid. As is it's a really nice photo.

It's more like a beginner question. I wonder how much of those chips were cropped off, why they are cropped like that? just to balance the picture?

Thanks again for all the new comments.

leotopia said:
I wonder how much of those chips were cropped off, why they are cropped like that? just to balance the picture?
Do you mean how much of the ships were cropped off? The rest of the ship wasn't really that interesting to look at so I decided to crop it off with the camera. Also the background became more boring as you go to the right so it felt like a natural place to crop it in my opinion.

I guess you can say it was for balance because I cropped off the areas I thought were boring and left what I thought were interesting. Hopefully that answers your question.

Most reactions

Back