B&W Chemicals?

I am an old-school guy, I use D-76, Kodak indicator stop-bath, Kodak Fixer and Kodak Hypo-Clear, and Kodak Photo-Flo wetting agent.

Is it the best? Dunno, but all of it is made in the USA and I like keeping jobs here.
I am afraid, that now this stuff is made in Germany. By Tetenal.

Well, there goes that perfectly good theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me know (insert sad trombone face).

Heck, most of these chemicals are easy enough to just mix them yourself from scratch.

Kodak D-76 Film Developer

I am an old-school guy, I use D-76, Kodak indicator stop-bath, Kodak Fixer and Kodak Hypo-Clear, and Kodak Photo-Flo wetting agent.

Is it the best? Dunno, but all of it is made in the USA and I like keeping jobs here.
I am afraid, that now this stuff is made in Germany. By Tetenal.

Well, there goes that perfectly good theory!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for letting me know (insert sad trombone face).

Heck, most of these chemicals are easy enough to just mix them yourself from scratch.

Kodak D-76 Film Developer
Eh... Stop using that and try something else, there is a lot of stuff. And yes, D76 , no doubt, is "old school". LOL.
It was created in late twenties for motion picture industry. And failed. But what you do with tones already mixed powders ? You sell it, really cheap, to still photography suckers. But it turned out as a very good developer for pre-war emulsions and legend was born. Funny thing, top artists of that time didn't use it. There was already better stuff. Ever heard of panthermic 777 ? Magnum agency was using this almost exclusively. Since then emulsions changed enormously. No more need for developers overloaded with chemicals. Eventually even Kodak started to market for it's top of the line emulsions, top of the line ready to use developer, Tmax Dev.
You might be surprised, how little chemistry is required to develop Tmax 100 way better, than D76 can ever do. Actually D76 is not really good idea for TMX. I don't use TriX, but I use DXN, very similar emulsion, which, unlike TriX, is supposedly unchanged since fifties. Maybe. But original TriX doesn't exist anymore, emulsion was changed to the point, that Kodak changed the designation to TX. Negative looks still the same, but TX is a modern, thin layer, small grain (for ISO 400 film) emulsion.
Well, old books is fun to read, but methods described in them are not always valid nowadays.
Anyway, try Tmax Dev. Or HC110 in small bottles. Those were still made in Rochester. By Canadian company, but in USA.

Eh... Stop using that and try something else, there is a lot of stuff. And yes, D76 , no doubt, is "old school". LOL.

But you see the thing is I REALLY like the look of Ultrafine Extreme 100 film developed in D-76. So I use Ultrafine Extreme 100 and I develop it in D-76. I honestly don't care what other people back in the day did or did not like, they are not me, and they are not relevant to me.

I also don't care what it failed to do, I like the look of it. I use other developers but mostly I go with D-76.

A Hassy 500C and it's person by Ken Mitchell, on Flickr

This is 26 years out of date Tri-X developed in Rodinal

img305-XL.jpg

Ha ha ! It was just my loose proposal to experiment a bit.
I like this film as well, however I just yesterday had a bid of discussion with PhotoWarehouse regarding the paper.
So, film is not bad, I wonder, if this is their own formula or what else. I don't mind (like I have any right or else to do that LOL) you using D76. My philosophy now is: with the reminder of film which is left let's go crazy and see, what really this outgoing technology could do to know, what we are loosing. As deeper and deeper I go, I discover more and more false believes, urban legends, partial schools and tied up guts surrounding it.( No wonder most people never really like it and made eager jump to digital. At least here the controls are clearly marked by numbers and mistakes cost no money. :1247:)Film photography could be really fun if used with imagination and, and fantasy ! Trying something else you may discover new qualities of your film and completely new look of your pictures. Well, just sayin...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back