B&W conversion

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am very new at BW conversion so any constructive criticism is very welcome on the following attempts.

I saw a BW sunrise in a magazine and loved it so I thought I would have a go:

Dscf3950s.jpg
Dscf3984s2.jpg
Dscf4012s.jpg

The conversions are fine (although the first one is a bit flat and needs more contrast IMHO). It's just that the subjects aren't all that engaging.

Just one man's opinion.

Just my opinion and I'm not a pro reviewer or anything.
In a B&W photo I'm looking for texture, interesting subjects and many shades and shade changes.
I'm not seeing anything interesting to me in these three.
The last one may look better to me if the rocks in the foreground were more visible as they could provide texture and interest.

Thanks for the comments.

The conversions are fine (although the first one is a bit flat and needs more contrast IMHO). It's just that the subjects aren't all that engaging.

Just one man's opinion.

I wanted the pics to have lots of nothing. maybe too much nothing.

Just my opinion and I'm not a pro reviewer or anything.
In a B&W photo I'm looking for texture, interesting subjects and many shades and shade changes.
I'm not seeing anything interesting to me in these three.
The last one may look better to me if the rocks in the foreground were more visible as they could provide texture and interest.

The rocks in the third pic had rubbish all over them so easiest thing was to black them out.

I will post up a few more with more content.

CHEERS

Different subject with three BW conversions. I looked for a pic with more native contrast. I am looking for feedback on the processing more than the actual pictures:

Start:
FIRE1.jpg

Grey-scale + contrast
FIRE4.jpg

Little bit of tone mapping
FIRE2.jpg

Negative + contrast + sharpening
FIRE3.jpg

CHEERS

Remember, that as a general rule, you need a black in a B&W image. The black acts like a baseline for the the other shades/zones. The first B&W fire shot is interesting ... there is something calming and soothing in the top image, but the lack contrast downgrades/reduces the visual impact and ultimate success of the image.

Remember, that as a general rule, you need a black in a B&W image. The black acts like a baseline for the the other shades/zones. The first B&W fire shot is interesting ... there is something calming and soothing in the top image, but the lack contrast downgrades/reduces the visual impact and ultimate success of the image.
Nope sorry you lost me.

I assume you meant "....but the lack of contrast...." but I chose that image because of the natural contrast ranging all the way from black to white. Maybe my understanding of contrast is different from yours.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back