b&w digital

Dew

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well, the hubby was griping about that i dont use my digital camera as much since i've been experimenting with film for the past month ... so i decided to take a few photos of nothing to ease his pain :lol: ... comments, critiques welcome :D

hall.jpg

ashtray.jpg

... that's my hand btw, im really into shadows with a hint of light (dunno why) .. sat the camera on a table-top tripod and used the remote

Olympus E20 digital SLR

Of the two - the second is my favorite - I couldn't tell you why - well, perhaps because there isn't anything I don't like about it - I love how the smoke is captured, the lighting on the back of the hand....well, perhaps I'd have one wish - to see just a bit more detail into the ashtray, but otherwise I just think it is quite striking.

I like the first one as well, but the pendant light at the top draws my focus away from everything else in the photo - I think I'd like it more if that light weren't on..... could be me.

Enjoyed - love seeing your work.

i think you're right about the top light, it was buggin me a little ... im gonna see what it looks like removed in photoshop .. :D

the ashtray .. i was just smoking a cig and put it out .. as i put it out and saw the way the light was hitting the back of my hand, i grabbed the camera

You know what I think it is with the second one.... I wish I could make out your fingertips just a bit better - but really it's such a minor thing - still love the shot ....

Good eye!

what a strong feminine image. i love the high contrast, the graceful lines of your wrist and fingers... the edge of the ashtray perfectly positioned to draw the eye into main subject. i see alot of symbols in this shot- specifically the way your fingers are positioned. did you do this on purpose or is it serendipitous?

well, as i mentioned in another post ... the hubby brought home B&W Photography Magazine yesterday .. i was inspired by the lovely images that i saw ... and since i love b&w anyway :oops: ... i told the hubby today, "i cant wait to shoot only b&w." cause for me its all about shadow, detail and contrast ... rid the color ... nothing left but the raw elements ... btw, i strongly recommend this mag .. its lovely :D

anywho .. it happened by accident today .. i was smoking a cig, as usual .. putting it out in the ashtray :eek: ... it was about 4pm, so the sun was going down ... so it caught my eye the way the light was "glowing" on the back of my hand .. i thought to myself "kodak moment" :lol: ... sometimes it just clicks and i see it..

so i re-lit the butt of the cigarette, put the camera on a small table-top tripod (we acquire a lot of photography junk :lol:) .. and composed the picture on the LCD screen of the camera, with the remote, i clicked it ... took that one about 5 times, i moved the camera to get the best composition (i shot it in RAW mode) .. all the while, the hubby's sitting across from me bewildered :lol: ..

smokin' shot dew ;)

(coughs from second hand smoke)

the lighting is lovely, I like tammy wish there was a bit more detail in the ashtray and fingers - but thats a minor little nitpick :D. Everything else about the compostion is really really fab. Thanks for sharing those :)

Well those photos of nothing sure have some thing! Both have a ghostly/ loneliness appeal that I find "thought provoking" (I love that term). Is that 209 e10th st. in the first photo? Hallways can be fascinating.

I think maybe did you say your digi went to 80 iso (ASA)? The ol' D1 only goes to 200. I am jealous.

"Anywho" rich tones! I personally question the borders. They seem a little contrived for such good photos.

yeh, my cam goes down to iso 80 ... its kinda built for "studio" and stuff like this ... the chunky border was an afterthought ... its old and chunky .. a little tacky :lol:

thats my hallway ... im going to be doing a photoshoot down there with a model soon ... b&w of course :D

I think the second one is a complete winner. Fabulous, just as is.

I don't need to see any more detail in the fingertips; although I appreciate what the others are saying, I don't see the need. I think the light outline on wrist, hand and ashtray give enough information to convey the mood. The smoke is sensual and beautiful. What a shot!

Keep 'em coming, girl! :D

Most reactions

Back