b+w filters question

johan.sie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi guys, :)

so I have been in the market for some B+W uv and c-pol however like many of us, I can't afford both in MRC version. So those of you who have used both regular and the MRC version, had you found any issue or concern that you really really need MRC that you can't do without?

I was thinking to the following options:
- get both regular uv and c-pol
- get an MRC uv (since that's what will be on my lens all the time) + regular c-pol
- or get regular uv + MRC c-pol?

any thoughts? I know B+W are great quality already just wondering if there's any comment from fellow users :D

I have a slim B+W CPL (MRC) filter that I bought primarily for my wide angle lens but swap it off as needed.

I don't use UV filters.

any other thoughts?

What is your reasoning for a UV filter?

How many lenses do you have with the same filter size that you will be purchasing? Any smaller or larger?

Do you have a lens hood for each lens?

If you're short of cash, spend the money on the good quality CPOL - the UVs only purpose in life is to keep the front element of your lens clean, just leave it off altogether.

heya guys,

i have 1 lens that already has a UV+cpol but its 72mm.

i have another wide lens for 77mm and i will be anticipating 1-2 more lenses in the future with 77mm ring size as well. frankly, the only reason for me to keep a uv is pretty much as an assurance that my lens won't collect dust, water, etc since i have the filter as the front end ...

unless I keep the cpol on my lens all the time, I would still psychologically feel safer to have a uv intact forever :p

yes it has a hood, but its a small hood for typical wide lenses :)

the reason also is that I can get a UV + Cpol combo at great price, which bring down the UV to only $30, so its sorta a good deal on that end, but I would love to hear why not use UV from you guys too :)

As long as you use a good quality UV, there's no harm in it, however using a cheap filter of any description may well be detrimental, causing increases in flare and aberration, as well as reduced sharpenss. Consider B+W optically clear elements instead.

if .. you are leaning only to use 1 filter at a time ... would a cpol be a good one to keep on the lens all the time ... or there's other filter that will do the trick? the cpol also has some uv protection right?

The circular polarizer is a purposed filter and not intended to stay on. It will remove reflection from glass, water, plant leaves etc and increase color saturation, give bluer skies, make clouds pop out more, etc, but does not affect color balance. The effect will increase or decrease by rotating the outer ring. It will also have up to 1 1/3 stop factor.

If you are bound and determined to have a front end filter for protection, then a clear or UV filter would be your choice. The UV may reduce the blueish tinge on hazy days and such.

I have a slim B+W CPL (MRC) filter that I bought primarily for my wide angle lens but swap it off as needed.

I don't use UV filters.

bro,
on wide lenses in general, do you think having a 2 filters stacked will be affecting the images and highly increase vignetting? also, how often do you have your c-pol on your lens? would ND filter somehow better than c-pol?

I have a Nikkor 12-24mm lens, which is why I got the B+W slim version CPL. I have stacked an ND filter and the CPL without seeing any vignetting. Keep in mind that the slim filter does not have any front threads, even a lens cap can't be used in front. It dies come with a plastic cap, but mine didn't fit very snug and fell off more than it stayed on. It's in a drawer somewhere now. :lol:

I have 4 lenses that the filter will fit and if outside and I have my sunglasses on, then that is my guide to mount the filter. Of course, sometimes I can't be bothered.

An ND filter has a different function than a CPL. The ND reduces the amount of light that hits your sensor and allows a longer shutter speed, wider aperture or lower ISO. It is neutral and will not have impact to colors in your scene, only exposure. The amount will be determined by the rating of the filter. I have a 3 stop ND, which works good for me ATM.

Here's a good read on filters by Thom Hogan. It might explain a few of your questions better than I.

Most reactions

Back