B&W Help

toltec

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I very rarely venture into Black and White photography, but see marvellous things from people who know how to develop. I was wondering if anyone has any hints on this pic.

p6zy5.jpg

It's a small image so hard to see but it doesn't look too sharp and the pose could be better. Not really very flattering.

Sorry for being harsh on this.

No problem, no offense taken. It's not one of my better shots, hence putting it on the critique forum. It's ask people who know what they're talking about and learn from the reply. Appeciate the comment.

It's propped in low light (like 1/2 at f/1.4), toplit by a very dull wall/street lamp, it was always gonna be soft. I just was trying for something moody.

I created something a while ago for images just like yours. It can make almost any thing look good.

Here you go:
a.jpg

Pretty sweet, huh?

Mike V

You said develop in your original post. Is this film or digital? Are you looking for developing/printing techniques, or photoshop B&W conversion techniques?

The portrait you posted has a major problem in the lighting. The subject's eyes are important to the effect of the print, but are in shadow. The highlight on the cheek facing the camera pulls the viewer's gaze from the eyes to the cheek.

A bit more effort spent in setting up the shot would have saved the shot.

Post-processing indicates that something could have been better on the original negative.

Most reactions

Back