B+W Kaesemann Circular Polarizer Multi-Coated .... Anybody used it?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by kundalini, Jan 2, 2009.

1. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a lens, but the question that halts me is in the Kaesemann option for a circular polarizer. I already have a B+W in a larger filter size.... and am quite impressed with it.

Any experience with it...... Kaesemann ? Is it worth the few extra bucks? When talking around $150... a tenner or a score either way is meaningless, unless there IS a concrete reason - one way or the other. But in the same breath, I'd just as soon save that tenner if the diference is negligable.

Cheers.

2. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I got one for my lenses. It is suppose to be a better tighter seal between the two halves to help minimize condensation. So I've heard. I have the slim version and it is a tad difficult to screw on sometimes due to the thin profile. However, the trade-off is you do not lose as much light as with other polarizers. At least 1/2 to a full stop. I compared it to a Hoya Pro1 that I had under the exact same conditions and the B+W was a full stop faster. Pricey considering I have not used it that much, but I rather not put any crap on my lenses.

3. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Cheers soylentgreen.

A couple of key words I picked up were "supposed" and "So I've heard". Gotta say that doesn't fill me with th warm and fuzzies. But on the back end was not loosing as much light.. at most 1 stop, which is better than the 1-1/2 stops with the normal B+W I receive from the one I have now. Wondering if that is a norm..... say Hey Norm!

4. soylentgreen

soylentgreen TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well the fit between layers is very close. And the turning is tight like there is a o-ring between them that gives it that grip. Pretty good quality glass.

5. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, the difference is $16 at Adorama. I guess the additional 0.021 % is negligible. :lol:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009