B&W Macro

drdan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thegoodsleepstore.com
I was just messing around trying to show someone how macro tends to make just about anything seem more dramatic. I took this handheld shot of an electric razor on my desk and messed around with PS a little. I don't really understand how to do most of the things in Vonnagy's B&W PS tutorial so I just used what I did know.

Anyway, after looking at it a while I started to like it. I don't know if it actually has something or whether I just looked at it too long. :lol:

Any objective opinions?

DSC08552.jpg

I'm not saying this is bad, but is has a rather uncomfortable feel to it. My eye starts to wander around the print, but keeps jumping immediately back to the tip of the trimming blade, which is right in the middle of the image and the only part that's in focus. It's like I can't escape. It puts me on edge, which seems rather appropriate considering the subject.

Thanks Mark, I see what you're talking about and I appreciate your comments. I have really learned a lot about pictures from the members in the short time I've been here.

I think after a while I started liking the way my eye tended to jump off that sharp edge and slide down that rounded shoulder into the "distance". But, like I said I just may have looked at it too long to really see it anymore. I liked the way the picture is sliced up by the angles too.

drdan said:
Anyway, after looking at it a while I started to like it. I don't know if it actually has something or whether I just looked at it too long. :lol:
It does have something about it that's eye catching. I also didn't have to stare at it for a long time. I liked it from the beginning but then again I do have an appreciation for abstract designs so it could just be me. The composition and sight lines are nice in this picture. For me personally, I would have the left side more in focused but not all the way down the razer.

B&w works well for this subject because a lot of electronics are now in black and silver which makes this picture look "natural". Good work drdan.

Most reactions

Back