B&W photography

zio

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I just got a new Canon Rebel XS N and some black and white film to go along with it. The film is Kodak with ISO 400.

What are the best settings to take b&w photographs with (i.e. shutter speed and f/ratio)? I'd probably be taking pictures of people, my cat, things around the house etc etc. Basically everything would be kind of close since the lens is only 35-80mm. Should I use the flash with b&w photos too?

Also, on the film it says DXn and also BWC...i'm new to all of this, could somebody clue me in!

There isnt really a good setting for shutter speed and f stop only fast shutter speed will stop action, and a small apature will give you the greatest depth of field. Your best bet will be to set your camera to auto and experiment with the camera later on. Taking pictures really close up you will probably need lot of DOF so use the smallest apature possible.

DXn is a metal code on the film canister so the camera can automaticly know what speed the film is. (makes the camera more user friendly but can be a problem if you want to push the film)

BWC is probalby kodaks new B&W film processed in C-41. It isnt truly B&W film that you would normaly process at home/ by hand, but color film that acts like B&W film and can be exposed on color paper.

Get some books to read on photography, many are in your local library

Hope this helps :D

the best thing to do is to read up on some basic photography. there is no "best setting" for anything. if you know how to use your camera properly, everything else will fall into place. you can't learn all this overnight. take it one step at a time.

Just because you only have a 35-80 zoom, your words, don't confine yourself to things close to you. That particular lens is a very versatile tool and will give great results if you simply open your mind to the things around you.

Happy Snappin.
RJ

Most reactions

Back