B & W portraits

jcdeboever

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
In studio. Looking to get better. Suggestions welcome.

b4eb15bbf76b333e4462babbe0e72ab7.jpg

2d4bfdf37f4232a3e0e621a7ab9d6638.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not bad at all; the lighting on these works very well. Both would have benefitted somewhat from a hairlight, and there are those who don't like the 'double catchlight' look (I don't mind it at all), but aside from that, it's good. I think the poses could have been tweaked a bit. The first one is good, but I think having his body on just a bit more of an angle away from the camera would have made it a lot stronger. I'm really not fond of the second pose at all. It makes his body look 'odd' and the hands & light trousers being the brightest part of the image pull the eye directly to his crotch.

Not bad at all; the lighting on these works very well. Both would have benefitted somewhat from a hairlight, and there are those who don't like the 'double catchlight' look (I don't mind it at all), but aside from that, it's good. I think the poses could have been tweaked a bit. The first one is good, but I think having his body on just a bit more of an angle away from the camera would have made it a lot stronger. I'm really not fond of the second pose at all. It makes his body look 'odd' and the hands & light trousers being the brightest part of the image pull the eye directly to his crotch.
Thanks for the input. Would a 100w 52k light work for the hair light?

Honestly? I have NO idea. I've never used continuous lighting. If I were doing, I would probably be looking for something in the 25-50 w/s range.

I think the first one has a lot potential.

If we strictly talk about light, there are lots of improvements that I can point out. First off, if you're using continuous, remember that 100 watts of power will give you roughly 2 watt seconds of light at 1/50 shutter speed but the lumens will be quite low. If you're using flash, you'll get the full 100 watts of light because of the instantaneous pulse that you will receive (up 1/1000 shutter speed). You can read more about it here: Shutter speed does not affect flash exposure

Now when you use a hair light, depending on the style you'd want, it would have to be a pretty powerful light if you're not using flash in order to get that light ring we see in professional photographs.

I've been in your position before and it comes with time. You'll learn how to position the light and how to pose them right depending on their figure. One thing I'd suggest it try keeping the catch lights down to one if possible. Two like the ones you have in both pictures are a little weird.

Next, you do not have white highlights in either photo, mostly grays and blacks. Next time you try black and white, make sure you have a good spectrum from black to white.

Be careful with the over sharpening as well, you don't want to cook his face.

Lastly, if you plan on doing pure black background, try to get him in another coloured shirt, something lighter so we don't lose him in the background!

My opinion but it's just helpful pointers :)

If we strictly talk about light, there are lots of improvements that I can point out. First off, if you're using continuous, remember that 100 watts of power will give you roughly 2 watt seconds of light at 1/50 shutter speed but the lumens will be quite low. If you're using flash, you'll get the full 100 watts of light because of the instantaneous pulse that you will receive (up 1/1000 shutter speed). You can read more about it here: Shutter speed does not affect flash exposure

Now when you use a hair light, depending on the style you'd want, it would have to be a pretty powerful light if you're not using flash in order to get that light ring we see in professional photographs.

I've been in your position before and it comes with time. You'll learn how to position the light and how to pose them right depending on their figure. One thing I'd suggest it try keeping the catch lights down to one if possible. Two like the ones you have in both pictures are a little weird.

Next, you do not have white highlights in either photo, mostly grays and blacks. Next time you try black and white, make sure you have a good spectrum from black to white.

Lastly, if you plan on doing pure black background, try to get him in another coloured shirt, something lighter so we don't lose him in the background!

Thank you very much for the direction. I am using speedlight's on stands with umbrellas. It's a bad setup because it's down in my finished basement so it's pretty dark to begin with. I will read up on posing. I have pretty crude hardware and probably have no business trying to do this. I also don't get to practice enough.

Thank you very much for the direction. I am using speedlight's on stands with umbrellas. It's a bad setup because it's down in my finished basement so it's pretty dark to begin with. I will read up on posing. I have pretty crude hardware and probably have no business trying to do this. I also don't get to practice enough.

This is where I shoot ;) In my living room! Don't be afraid to try something new every time you shoot!

behind.jpg

They look good to me! And you got some nice C&C up above. :)

Most reactions

Back