b&w printed on color paper

robwst7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
i was wondering what problems i will face trying to use color paper with b/w film and b/w chemicals.
thanks you guys have been alot of help

Sounds like a fun experiment, just make sure you work in total darkness with that color paper. I think the photos will come out but maybe a bit on the purple side.

its the only paper i have right now. total darkness? you mean with no safe light? could i have ruined all my color paper by exposing it to a safe light?

geoffe said:
I think the photos will come out but maybe a bit on the purple side.

Wouldn't that depend on the film? and how long the film was fixed and how well the fixer was removed?

I've found that Tri-X tends to stay a little purple no matter how long it is fixed, but Ilford and Fuji go quite clear if it is properly fixed.

unfortunately, when working with color paper, it is very light sensitive, even to safe lights. I'd be interested to see what kind of results you get. I do know that you can get B&W on color paper but I have only seen it done with color chems, not B&W chemicals.

The black and white chemistry will give a purple cast to the prints, slightly. I have seen friends try prints like this and they tend to be a bit purple. Still a great method to try. I think that the negative will have little to do with the results other than intensity or maybe a bit of contrast issues.

there are colour safelights but these are so dim that a good 1/2 hour in the DR is required before you can actually see by them, if you only have red for black n white type safelights I'me afraid the paper is all fogged and you've lost your dough.

With color paper you're better off being in total darkness. Even a slight amount of red light will give you a lovely cyan cast which makes color correcting impossible. I learned that the hard way working in a color lab.
I've printed b/w negs on color paper in RA4 with good results but not the other way around. You'd only get a b/w image, if anything. Try crossprocessing for something different.

Most reactions

Back