B&W tips for beginners

leejt1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have to do a class assignment on converting photos I took to black and white in photoshop.

I was wondering what are the recommended settings for shooting to convert in post. ISO, shutter, time of day..ect ..

there's no answer to this because it's not a question you need to ask.

There is, as said, no answer. A properly-exposed colour shot can simply be converted into B&W. Sure, there are tricks when the shot isn't properly exposed, but those are photoshop tricks and not camera tricks.

Basically, expose the shot properly and you will have no problems.

I have to do a class assignment on converting photos I took to black and white in photoshop.

I was wondering what are the recommended settings for shooting to convert in post. ISO, shutter, time of day..ect ..

+1 to what the other posters said

With that in mind.. One thing I've found with black and white photos, is that they really seem (to me) to emphasize the light and shadows. When deciding what to take a picture of, I'd recommend utilizing these two things in a unique way for a dramatic B&W image. =)

Hmmm ok, thanks for the help

have you discussed with your insturctor how to think in black and white terms?

also, there are a variety of ways to convert but it is going to depend on the software your using and your experience in using that product..

You can use color filters to lighten or darken certain colors, (red is pretty popular ) or use the color channels palet in photoshop after converting.

Let me see;
previsualization - seeing in B&W
contrast
exposure
color
shadows
patterns
lines...

There is a lot to think about. Sure there are programs where a few keystrokes and whala, you have a b&w image....yet there is so much to the do to get to the keystrokes.
or
how to apply the keystrokes.

i would focus a lot on contrast.

very important element of B&W.

good luck mate.

Basically, expose the shot properly and you will have no problems.
Yeah, not so much.

Lee, if you take a picture of a fruit stand, for example, your black and white photo is going to be gray. You have to think about how colors are going to be seen in black and white.

Time of day does not matter as much because there is no "golden hour". There are only shadows and, depending on the hour, stronger/weaker shadows.

Architecture is a good starting point for b&w work.

Most reactions

Back