B&W with color element

labelthc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi look at the picture below, and tell me what do you think, BTW i like the girl and i have more her photos:sexywink:
001.jpg

I shall move this to our Portrait and Wedding Forum, that is the better place (more so since you don't ask for any specific critique on this photo, which - according to the guidelines to the Photo Critique Forum - you should do).

Welcome to ThePhotoForum!

Welcome to the forum.

It's a nice shot of a bride...but I find the selective coloring is hurting the image, rather than helping.

Typically, in a portrait...you want the viewer's eye to be drawn to the subject's face. In this shot, her arms do a good job of leading the view to her face...but the problem is that the flowers stand out so much...they are stealing the attention. It's almost becoming a shot of flowers with someone in the background...rather than a shot of a bride.

I personally dislike selective coloring except in very rare instances, but beyond that, the image is missing it's highlights. Using levels to move the white point down some will brighten up the image and bring some more contrast into it. That will mess up the flowers as they are, though. If you want to keep them color, a curves adjustment will probably work better.

thanks Big Mike for your words ;) listen, i'm starting work with wedding photos, my buddy make pictures and I work with them in PS, so I will be very grateful for any words of critique, and sorry for my english :)

markc i used Curves and Level to this photo, you haven't seen original it was tragic... on paper looks better, and client was happy when he got photos. anyway thanks you 2.

i agree with mike on this, an overall the shot might have worked better if her face wasnt so visible....BUT...i do like the idea you were going for...and please share how you make the flowers come over your mat/frame...neat! gives the picture depth...fun!

Weel, I know what everyone means by taking the focus off of her face but I also was a bride once - lol- and I know that if I were her - I would LOVE this! It would look great to anyone that looked in her album and I think it would be one of the pictures people would comment on most. But that's not photographer's, I understand that selective coloring isn't the most popular idea to you guys. However I do notice that lots of 'regular people' (lol) love it and can't get enough of it. I like it too!

emogirl said:
...and please share how you make the flowers come over your mat/frame...

If U really don't know how to do it i can tell U. It's very simple. Just make selection of flowers. Paste it on new layer. Then move up this layer over border layer, and that's it! Of course your photo must be bigger than border size. I think I did it this way or... Just make a mask on border layer and use white brush to show flowers. Goog luck :)

thanks for the lesson..i'll give it a try.....and jjmom is right....we photographers look at things SOOO differently than the general public/our clients....what i think is a terrible shot they will love....and same with "kitchy" images....people love them and I get asked for them all the time!

Most reactions

Back