Baby at the Cemetery

Chiller said:
Wally....I wish I was able to keep my baby attached to a body. It is an amazing lens, but the only problem I find is the little f-stop rings, having to put them in all the time. I have dropped them a few times, and they roll away like pennies.

I know what you mean, I make my own now using those business card sized magnets that you can put on the fridge and can get for free at a lot of places like pizza joints. You can also cut the holes in the center into shapes to get interesting bokeh. Like in this shot

paperwhite4.jpg

I used a star shaped apeture. Look closely at the out of focus highlights and you can see the stars. You should try it.

Wally said:
I know what you mean, I make my own now using those business card sized magnets that you can put on the fridge and can get for free at a lot of places like pizza joints. You can also cut the holes in the center into shapes to get interesting bokeh. Like in this shot

paperwhite4.jpg

I used a star shaped apeture. Look closely at the out of focus highlights and you can see the stars. You should try it.

What a cool idea Wally. Im going to have to try that. I have a ton of fridge magnets, that I rally hate. So..I know what I can do with them now. Thanks man:thumbup:

Chiller, I got goosebumps ...

I'll just ditto all the above ...

Loved 'em!!!

Wally said:

paperwhite4.jpg

Hey Wally, did you do one star or multiple stars? I tried this weekend with one star and also a cross, but I didnt quite get the desired effect.

chiller... these just made me stop and stare for a while... i even pulled in friends to see this.... i love the way the first one looks....i like them all...the last one with the arms outstretched makes me shiver... just a great great job! :thumbup:

( i never did find the baby.....sorry.... do you think you could point it out for me?????) :lmao: is it a "where's waldo" thing??? :lol:

Thanks Aprilraven.
Karalee...Im gonna try to make the size of the cutouts even smaller, to see if I can get more detail in the effect. If it turns out I will post it....k?
aprilraven.....thanks for your comments. Sorry girl...no baby. Funny about the last shot, cause that is the one I liked the least out of all of these. Hmm....

chiller...if i die any time soon i'd want you to photograph the headstone, these are outstanding! lovin your dark work its acceptional esp the first one...wow:hail:

Karalee said:
Hey Wally, did you do one star or multiple stars? I tried this weekend with one star and also a cross, but I didnt quite get the desired effect.

You only need to do one shape in the middle of the disk. You will not get the shapes on every shot, just the ones that have out of focus highlights and some shots will still have more than others. It also seems to work best if you make the shape as large as possible, that would give you a larger apeture which would give you a shallower DOF which means more out of focus highlights.

To understand how/why this works you need to understand why/how bokeh works. To put it simply every point of light reflected off of a surface is cone shaped. When we use a lens to focus light you are actually focusing on many of these cones. The larger your apeture (or smaller your f stop) the larger the cones of light your lens captures. Because of this you get a shallow DOF and images in the background are out of focus. On the other hand if you have a very small apeture you are forcing the cones of light to compress which gives you a very large DOF. "Normal" lenses are designed with this in mind and use multibladed iris's to make the out of focus areas apear round and therefore evenly out of focus.

By making a shaped "iris" you are cropping the cone of light into that shape. You do not notice it on the areas in focus because the shape is larger than your ccd/cmos/film and so gets cropped again. Out of focus areas in the background however have cones of light that are to small to get cropped again by your camera. That is how you can see the shapes.

Lensbaby....yeah that just got added to my tax return list. The guy that makes them should really kick something back to you cause he just got a BUNCH of sales from your picture ALONE.

Well done shots!!!

Thank you Archangel, Errant Star, Mohain, Taralyn, and Rashadan, for your kind words.
Rashadan...I can just see Sam now( the Lensbaby maker) watching us make these things and having a chuckle at us. If you want to see more of lensbaby.....go here.>> http://www.lensbabies.com/
They are really cool.
Wally....I finally found a use for my fridge magnets. I have cut a few tonight, and will hunt for a subject to try them on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back