Baby Girl C&C

bradleypics

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey Ya'll...

A few days ago I picked up a used Rebel XT on ebay and can't put it down. The weather has been lousy so I've only been able to take pictures indoors and in the evening. Due to this the lighting isn't the best, not to mention I know very little about what I'm doing. I was looking for some feedback on some of my first shots of my little girl. Thanks in advance.

#1 (focus seems a little off)
4312262409_fd53cea73b_b.jpg

#2 (seems a little red?)
4312997390_73a5071716_b.jpg

4309793942_04bf155e3e_o.jpg

well, crappy lighting means u get your self a flash and use it :)
the red is probably b/c ur WB is off.
there are HUNDREDS of books on photography, search the site and you'll find resources.
#1 - I'd love to see focus to be on the reflection - something like #2 but see more of her face in reflection :)
#3 - wish munchkin was looking up :)
pm me, if want, we can talk more.
good luck and as DERREL (another user) paraphrased someone, it'll take 10,000 bad frames to get one good one :)

1. Looks like the shutter speed might have been a little to slow or you missed the focus or a little of both.

2. It looks here like the White Balance is off a bit. The tub and everything has a reddish tint that you pointed out.

3. Seems like the focus was on the nose more than the eyes. Biggest tip for photographing people/animals/anything focus on the eyes! That is so important I always see focus on the nose or something and the picture could have been much better with the eyes sharp.

Don't want to sound too harsh but theses shots look mostly like snapshots from a new camera. The biggest advice is to just keep on shooting and experiment with everything. That is the beauty of digital. Mess with something take a picture see what it looks like instantly and change settings if needed. GL
TJ

It's addicting, isn't it?!

#1. Yes it is soft, but you got more of the babies face in the reflection so in that respect it is better then second where it appears to be in better focus. I think you need to zoom in tighter for this shot to work, having so much space around the baby (it's all white and boring tub) kind of takes away from what you are intending to shot, plus it makes your reflection (which is what I think you were going for) smaller. SO zoom in quite a bit, get some bubbles and atleast the first half of the babies head in frame. Next place a focus point on the reflection and take the shot. I would shoot in aperture priority and I would shoot with the lowest f/stop you have. The baby's head should be seen at a grazing angle.

#2 same

#3. The shot is underexposed and you have cut off most of the babies head in the photo, which I do not like in this scenario. Turn the camera and get a longer shot vice wider, get more of the head and the spill on the sweater, with better light, remember you want the focus to be the strongest on the eyes, first and foremost.

ditto on everything else said... but i do like #1 in that its a pretty creative composition... looking at herself in the reflection and all... good eye!

IgsEMT -
#1 - I agree, I wish the reflection would have been what I had focused.

I have the white balance set on auto, but it seems to do a terrible job in low lights, it always looks yellowish. I let lightroom change it but garbage in garbage out.

I have been reading loads of tutorials and articles online and putting them to practice. I will search this site for suggestions for beginner resources, thanks.

TJ K -
Thanks for your feedback. The more I look at them the more they do look like snapshots to me as well. I think having jumped from a P&S to a dSLR in the the past few days the difference in quality is dramatic between the two but when I compare my dSLR shots to the professional ones on flickr there is an obvious difference, which is to be expected.

I appreciate the feedback!

jackieclayton -

Thanks, I think I have a pretty good eye for what looks good, but need loads of practice with my camera to actually capture what I see in my mind. But I don't mind, I'm have lots of fun learning. Thanks!

Dominantly -
Yes, it is very addicting.

#1 - Thank you, I completely agree after reviewing it again. I was a little afraid to get any closer for fear of getting splashed, but it would have looked better with less tub.

#3 - You are right, it doesn't look right with her head chopped off. I was just complaining about some pics my wife had done and they kept cutting her hands/head off. I think I am still just surprised by how much sharper looking these are than my P&S, if that makes any sense.

I'm also thinking of picking up a 50mm f/1.8 on amazon, I have read great things about it (for as cheap as it is) and that it might be better for low light situations than the kit lens. I'll have to try the bathtub pics again after I get it.

I've tried using the flash but it seems to scare her and she starts to squint a lot in anticipation. I figure this is in part due to the fact it is the flash built in to the camera and I can't aim it to bounce off the ceiling etc. I'll have to do some research on a flash and pick one up.

I'm very thankful for this forum, it can be difficult to to critique, especially just starting out, your own photos. Once I get over the excitement of having a dslr camera it will probably get easier, critiquing them.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Great start. I agree it's crazy addicting! I got my DSLR last June and I've learned quite a bit just joining this forum for a few months. There's great info here and good folks. You just have to ignore some of the riffraff because this is the internet after all. Welcome and good luck!

Layspeed - Thanks, I'm having lots of fun and have been reading all the great tutorials and threads on this site. It's starting to make more sense, slowly.

Most reactions

Back