Baby in basket...

inspire-me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, this is my 2nd attempt to photograph baby. Trying to take advice from those of you that have been so helpful on other posts and put it to work. I am determined to understand good photography verses not so good. Are these any good?

990971657_dXNLD-L.jpg

990980640_ouMPf-L.jpg

2 is really cute

The lighting looks really great with these! Would you mind sharing the originals however? Your processing, particularly with the BW seems to be really degarding the image quality.

Having just started doing some baby photography, I can say it's probably the most difficult thing I have every photographed.

With #1 it looks as though you got some good eye contact, but I'm not a fan of the hands in front of the mouth.
The second one has too poor image quality to really comment on anything else.

Get the baby fed an hour before you shoot, make the room warm, and make sure the area is comfortable for them to lay on. When they have been asleep for a little while, they can be quite pliable.

Here is a link to a few I have done.
http://dominantly.smugmug.com/Portraits/Newborn/13358354_AKBkj#966431432_5qBrG

I cropped the #2 b/w photo differently, edited it again and put it in color. Is this one better?

991376491_WgnHi-L.jpg

Same photo in black and white.

991383898_aLMaL-L.jpg

It does look better but can we see the original, raw, photo? I think most of your problems may come from it being underexposed in camera

It does look better but can we see the original, raw, photo? I think most of your problems may come from it being underexposed in camera

Yes, it was a little underexposed. I am shooting with a Nikon coolpix s8000 (point and shoot). Just trying to learn before I make a big jump into an expensive camera. I don't have many setting on my camera so it is hard to get a good original from the camera without having to make some edits. I shot this in a room by a window with filtered lighting. It was a little dim. Hey, I figure, if I can figure out how to get some decent photos with a point and shoot, it shouldn't be too hard when I get a camera I can really work with.

Here is the original.... What could you do with it?

992095553_LCwAG-L.jpg

Last edited:
#2 is precious. The baby has some red areas on his/her belly. I would've removed them.

Just curious... Does anyone like this edit? I changed the angle to a slight diagonal and put it in sepia.

992162117_XogNe-L.jpg

Last edited:

I am disappointed to have found out, after going back and looking at the images in my camera that the ISO was 800. I thought I had it set for 100.... very frustrating!

Last edited:
Thanks for the help everyone. I will keep trying to improve.

I just did a quick lighting adjustment in lightroom. The ISO did make it a little noisy, but overall, with what you're working with..It's not too bad. Oh, and I sharpened the eyes just a tad.

babycopy.jpg

Last edited:
Not bad for a P&S. Most people with DSLR's have a helluva time with shots like this, so if you keep on practicing you shouldn't have a problem producing even better images when you pick up an SLR.

Most reactions

Back