baby portrait photo - how to edit!?!

sl81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi - first post! I'm trying to take some photos of my newborn, and love the effect of the photos done by redheadphotography (sample posted). I want something similar - how can I get the desired effect?
I'll be using a cropped sensor dslr, and a 58mm 1.4. I assume i'll need to take at 1.4 to get the shallow depth of field, but what other effects are people seeing? some vignetting i think.. but what about the shadows? and how can i achieve that 'soft' look?

Thanks from a newbie!!

Hi sl81, welcome to TPF. I've removed the image from your post as TPF does not permit posting of images to which the poster does not hold rights. You're welcome to post a link instead.

With respect to your question; in general large diffuse light sources, such as big soft boxes, or windows with a drape/shear over them are a good starting point. A shallow DoF is often considered desirable, but know what your actual DoF is... 50mm at f1.4 at common infant working distances it could be in the area of 1" which is way too little. Start by nailing down nice, sharply focused and properly exposed images, then worry about the more artistic aspects of it.

At close range on a small subject, like a baby, "shallow depth of field" is achieved with apertures in the f/5.6 to f/11 range. Seriously, not kidding...even stopped down to f/8, at close ranges, there is NOT much DOF. Not much at all. And what is in focus slides into the out of focus zone very quickly.

Most reactions

Back