Baby Portraits

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Vero, May 16, 2007.

1. Vero

Vero TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi EVeryone!

Here are some portraits I took a few days ago of my 10 month old. I'd appreciate feedback.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. boogaguy

boogaguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like #2 the best.
    Congratulations. Its good to see baby pictures that arent snapshots passed off as quality just because a baby is in them.
    These are really good.
    Fantastic Job.

3. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You did a good job with color, contrast, and depth of field in most of them. My only nit pick is that it looks like you went a little crazy on the USM, especially around the face, hair, and eyes. Good tight crops on your subject, which is definitely what you want. Not a lot of wasted space. I dont think #5 works for me though, looks like you caught her just before a blink. Overall, very nice.

4. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I love these! Great job! I have a baby the same age and she makes those same silly expressions - it's agreat but tough age huh? For me it is anyway cause my daughter is B - A - D BAD! haha
    Yours is adorable and I cant wait to see more of her in the future. :thumbup:

5. Vero

Vero TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is not the forst time I hear that my photos are too sharp (making them look a tad harsh) I really like them like that, but I realise that if I were to shoot for a customer, I'd have to make them slightly less sharp as it appears it is a preference I do not share with everyone! ;)

and to be honest, I really do not know how I feel about #5, when I look at it too long, I don't like it, but I included it because it grabs my attention each time I go through my photos.. so there was something about it!! Even though my daughter does not look like herself at all, and you are probably right about it being caught right before a blink.

All in all thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it!

6. NJMAN

NJMAN TPF Noob!

Far beyond the bowels of human existence...Minneso
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I like sharp images too, but there is a fine between making the focus look sharp vs. crunching the pixels too much in the edges.

I read an article somewhere on the internet about a supposedly better method of using Unsharp Mask in photoshop. In the article, they say that a lot of photoshop users apply sharpening without looking at the threshold and radius settings too much, and they end up just leaving them at the default settings. They recommend setting the Threshold to 0, the Radius to .03 and the Amount to between 100% and 150% for original size high res images, but Im sure you would want adjust the Amount to your taste.

Give that a try on one of your original images, and see if that looks any different, or if you like it. Just a suggestion.