Back at it. A few from a senior shoot.

Austin Greene

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.austingreenephotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First off, I don't consider myself a professional (far off dream), so this might not be the right place to post. That said, it is a paid shoot, so there's my logic.

I haven't charged for a shoot for about 2 years. Early on I did what most do and got way over-confident. The client was happy, but I was mortified and I chose not to charge again for some time, until I felt like I could actually deliver something worth paying for.

Well, Thursday marked the first paid shoot I've done since then. All my other shoots up until now have been entirely free and for practice. Graduating soon from UCD and looking at impending unemployment I'm going to need to tap into all the practice I've put in over the years to help cover student loans, and I've started by doing a few senior shoots in the short time I have left here. I'm charging less than I think I should, but I also empathize with my peers on the financial side of things, and I can't stand some of the horrific $5 photographers we have around campus. These are a subset from the shoot.

Anyways, I'd love your thoughts. If you think what follows is a horrific set, by all means let me know and I'll step back to finding another way to pay for ramen in the coming weeks.

1. Entirely the choice of the model, she wanted to emulate a favorite photo of hers from years past. Not my favorite, but not quite a bust either.

Mavish by TogaLive, on Flickr

2. Just before the wind took down a flash and bent up a $40 umbrella. I was able to straighten it out later. Suppose I could tone down the greens a tad from all that reflected grass light...

3. I liked it, though in hindsight I'd change the hand positioning and get a bit more spread on her feet with the flash. Composing the sky out would have helped provided how damn bright it was (beginner mistake, not going to happen again). Wanted it to run a tad warm.

4. My favorite from the shoot. I've toned down the greens a tad at the suggestions of others in People Photography.

Overall I'd rate the shoot at a 7/10. The weather wasn't working with us at all (long hair, high winds) and many of the compositions I planned out ahead of time couldn't be done thanks to some sleeping hobos. She was great to work with, was quite satisfied, and the shoot flowed smoothly all things considered, so I suppose I'm happy. The next shoot will be an improvement.

Last edited:
Austin Greene said:
. SNIP>
The weather wasn't working with us at all (long hair, high winds) and many of the compositions I planned out ahead of time couldn't be done thanks to some sleeping hobos. She was great to work with, was quite satisfied, and the shoot flowed smoothly all things considered, so I suppose I'm happy. The next shoot will be an improvement.

Damn those sleeping hobos!!!!

Nice set, and definitely worth her money. My favorite is the last one--it just seems the most effortless. The pose, the light, the whimsical hair, all of it just worked.

Cheers!
Jake

very nice set!
green tint in #4 though...makes her look kinda sickly. maybe take the green channel down a bit.
#3 is a hair darker than i like personally, but nothing major.
#2 is the money shot of the set.
#1 is good, but would be great if it were framed better. maybe even arms showing instead of one cropped off.

Oh wow, thanks for all the comments everybody, I always appreciate seeing them from folks who do this (more or less) for a living.

Pix, I worked on taking down the green tint a bit compared to my first edit, but I didn't seem to be able to pull it all out. The light was reflected off of the grass so it was about as green as green gets.

And John totally caught me on the bra strap. I caught it in post but didn't think it was noticeable, I'll likely clone it out.

Thanks again folks, seeing that I'm not the only one who gives the shoot a passing grade gives me some confidence heading into the next 8 or so I have lined up, and it means I'm not entirely crazy :meh:

I have no idea why in the world you are so hard on yourself!! These are fantastic! Love then all. I actually really like the first one, you don't see many good looking faces upside down without weird lines or strain on the face. My favorite of all is number 3, I tend to like warmer pictures better though, buy she looks so pretty ij this one. Something about that light in background is making it magical. You did awesome!

Most reactions

Back