F-Stop: f/13
Aperture Value: f/13
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 36mm
No Flash
Metering Mode: Pattern
White Balance: Auto
File Sze: 800x533 pixels

Please tell me how I can improve my shots. I am having a hard time determining proper camera settings for different lighting/movement/zoom etc.

I will show you before and after crop.

3946975180_5b275f4af4_o.jpg

3946165185_6ec1c39a24_o.jpg

The first shot really isn't anything special, the crowd is distracting.

When you crop it, it looks much better... The exposure looks pretty good, looks a tad soft, likely due to the shutter speed... you could have benefitted from a faster shutter speed. Heavy cropping can make the image appear more grainy.

Any particular reason you did not use your 55-250? This would allow you to zoom in rather than heavily crop the photo. Also try a larger aperture, f5.6-f8 or so would give you a faster shutter speed if you're using Av.

This is a good snapshot. I have a few tips that might help you make it a better photograph.

1) Instead of cropping the picture after the shot is taken, try to zoom with your lens so that you can use the whole sensor of your camera.

2) The background is distracting and not interesting. If at all possible, next time get a different seat or location to shoot from, and think about the composition of the shot before hand.

3) If you can't control the background, at least try to "throw it out of focus". Your lens is a little limited being only a f/5.6, but try to shoot as wide open as possible. This will help "selective focus" by narrowing the depth of field. This will also increase the shutter speed which will help freeze more of the action.

4.) I am guessing that you are shooting in JPEG file mode. You should try to shoot in RAW, so you are getting the most details out of your sensor. If you shoot RAW, you will also need some form of post production software, such as GIMP (free!) or Photoshop Elements. This will allow you more room to adjust your images if they are slightly off. For example you can adjust white balance, and be able to "tweak" exposure. You may be able to recover some highlights etc. If you haven't tried shooting RAW, you really should as most people like the flexibility it offers.

Overall, not a bad shot. Keep shooting and have fun. Welcome to the forum. In no time you will be taking really great photos.

-Andy

Try and fill the frame with your subject.
Get as close as you can, either using your zoom lens or by actually moving closer. (or both). Then get even closer!
Cropping can have a big impact on the composition of an image. But once you are cropping a large part 'out' to get a larger subject you are probably not close enough in the first place. (not to mention wasting all those pixels).
Good Luck

Thank you all for the great advise. That is exactly what I was hoping to get.

How do you know if you have the right shutter speed? 1/20 vs 1/200 vs 1/600?

As far as apature goes.. the rule of thumb is the lower the number (ex 1.4) the better? Unless its a scenery shot or something right?

Thanks again.

There isn't really a "right" number. For aperture, you want enough in focus that the subject is not blurry but you want the background blurry for a portrait shot, but for a landscape you want a very high aperture so that it is all in focus. Generally a couple stops above the maximum (say F/3.2 for an f/1.8, or f/7.1 for an f/4) will generally give the image quality.

There isn't really a "right" number. For aperture, you want enough in focus that the subject is not blurry but you want the background blurry for a portrait shot, but for a landscape you want a very high aperture so that it is all in focus. Generally a couple stops above the maximum (say F/3.2 for an f/1.8, or f/7.1 for an f/4) will generally give the image quality.

I still havent figured out comments like this. Where is it written that you WANT the background blurry? Isn't this really an individual thing? I mean, is it a written rule? Everyone has different tastes, I may like tomatoes, you may not....but to say that you "want/need" the background blurry is kinda assuming that his tastes are the same as yours. There is no scientific proof that blurring the background is the "correct" way of doing this.

Keep personal bias out of your comments.....comment on technical aspects etc, not how YOU would like it to look.

Nice pics Sgt. I too like the background blurry, but again, thats personal preference to me, but I'm certainly not going to tell you that you need to change the background to fit my tastes.

Thanks for posting!

I still havent figured out comments like this. Where is it written that you WANT the background blurry? Isn't this really an individual thing? I mean, is it a written rule? Everyone has different tastes, I may like tomatoes, you may not....but to say that you "want/need" the background blurry is kinda assuming that his tastes are the same as yours. There is no scientific proof that blurring the background is the "correct" way of doing this.

Keep personal bias out of your comments.....comment on technical aspects etc, not how YOU would like it to look.

Nice pics Sgt. I too like the background blurry, but again, thats personal preference to me, but I'm certainly not going to tell you that you need to change the background to fit my tastes.

Thanks for posting!

I do not believe that is his/her personal bias. I think he/she just answer OP's question regarding aperture -> "There isn't really a "right" number"

And then quote with the extreme examples of lower and higher aperture number.

I also like a blurry background (just not all the time). I like glazed donuts, but that doesn't mean I'm never gonna order a Boston Creme. I believe a good part of my question was answered and I will try the 2-stops above the max Av when I want a complete focus.

I will post my pics in the future so all can watch me grow in this AWESOME field.

I am REALLY enjoying photography and might want to take some college courses. The Air Force told me they will pay for them in full. It's just a matter of juggling the USAF, Family, and my second job.

Thanks again for the repies and please keep the C&Cs coming

I think that if you get a chance to shoot it again, the zoom and a slightly larger aperture should yield some very nice shots.

It's just a matter of juggling the USAF, Family, and my second job.

And as the child of two retired E-8's I can understand that one fully. Thank you for your service.

Thank you all for the great advise. That is exactly what I was hoping to get.

How do you know if you have the right shutter speed? 1/20 vs 1/200 vs 1/600?

As far as apature goes.. the rule of thumb is the lower the number (ex 1.4) the better? Unless its a scenery shot or something right?

Thanks again.

LOL

Hmmm...what exactly should be commented on then?
Even "technical" aspects have no real right and wrong.
You can be creative on the technical side as well.
Hearing other peoples opinions also helps you grow.
It can help you think in ways you wouldn't have otherwise.

Not if he's cropping the image down

Post-processing of a photo has nothing to do with how much of the sensor is being utilized when taking the actual photo.

Then what is the point of C&C? Photography is subjective as far as opinions go, so any C&C will by its very nature have some personal bias injected into it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back