Anti-Dentite
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
internetwhispers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
And another thing.................. :mrgreen:

What are the pro's and con's of using back button focus? Who uses it and why? It does sound hard to get used to, but I read that it can make shooting a lot easier in a lot of situations. Thanks!

Once you get used to it backbutton AF is the only way to control AF!

It allows you to separate the focusing and the metering as well as the photo capture form each other. This is very empowering as now it means you can focus with the AF; then take your finger off the back button and move the frame around wherever you want and take a shot with the shutter button and the AF won't engage again.

It's also great if use wtih all the time manual focusing lenses as you can then shift from AF to MF without having to touch a single switch on the camera (or hunt around for the switch on the lens). You just don't press the back button.

It does take a little getting used to, but its a feature that I would strongly recommend using and getting used to because it will help.

I switched to bbf about 4 months ago or so and I love it. Once I figured out the setting to get bbf on the back and how to do the exposure lock, I was really loving it.

Well now that gets me excited! I'll try to start using it this week. Why not add to the frustration factor now so I can get over it sooner?! LOL!

Its good as it makes you think about focusing more, you can meter on different areas quickly and not worry about refocusing, you can use it like a semi auto focusing mode. Its bad when you forget that you have it on and I find it a little more awkward (I allways seem to hit exposure lock first) in some situations but mostly it's a good thing. Only one way to find out if you like it though!

I use it, and I don't think I could go back.

BBF all the way.:thumbup:

Back button focusing makes you seem,well, sexier, and more attractive to the opposite gender! But sssssh! keep that one quiet--we don't want to start a mad rush! See, shutter release button focusing is the regular kissing of kissing; back button focusing is the French kissing of kissing; shutter button focusing is the missionary position of sex, whereas back button focusing is the...wait..wait,wait...I'd better stop right there...

I really can't think of any negative drawbacks, unless you really need your thumb to be controlling something else right up until the moment of capture, in some extreme situation.

I don't use it (generally) but I set my release to lock AF/Exposure so that I can recompose. Simply locking focus and recomposing while using BBF will allow exposure to change if using center or spot metering as I do. Or am I missing something?

I don't use it (generally) but I set my release to lock AF/Exposure so that I can recompose. Simply locking focus and recomposing while using BBF will allow exposure to change if using center or spot metering as I do. Or am I missing something?

Well, "it depends"; there are multiple variations of both back button focusing and exposure lock. For example one Nikon model I have has six options for the combined AE-L /AF-L button, and two options for the AF ON button, meaning it has TWO control buttons, and multiple permutations, one button having six options, the other having two options.

Back button focusing can be set up different ways, with different brands and models of cameras. There is no,one, single "way" to configure the buttons.

Couple article links for Nikon users http://neilvn.com/tangents/nikon-d300-d700-d3-d3s-d3x-focusing-modes/

and also this one http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d3/af-settings.htm

And for users of Nikons that have only ONE button, this article http://photographylife.com/nikon-ae-l-af-l-button

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back