Back Button Focusing-Who is skilled at using it?

Stacy Morin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I did a quick search in the forums about this-came up with a few OLD 2006 posts. So I am posting a new one! I have read and read that BBF is the way to sharper images. I have researched on just how to do it. I have my D7000 all set up and I use it. But I'll be damned if I am doing it correctly! I seem to always have to keep my thumb pressed down for focus. I never release it and "recompose" the shot like they say to do! If I did that I would lose focus all together! Can someone please explain this to me? (and t a l k real slow P l e a s e) :allteeth:

How far are you moving the camera to recompose? What f stop are you using? If you are moving from the left eye from the center of the photo to the left side of the frame and using something like f/1.8, you are going to loose some sharpness do to the change in focus distance.

I use bbf all the time but depending on what I am shooting, I use a focus point as close to the composition that I want to have in my final photo.

Practice is always a good thing.

I actually use my Back Button to LOCK Focus. - AF-Lock
In doing sports, like soccer it helps when you are tracking the soccer ball in flight versus wanting the camera to focus on, well, the background.

But I also use BBF, but I find using it for Focus Lock is easier on my fingers (forefinger - thumb) as I track action and do half releases to focus moving action then Back Button Lock.

Last edited:
How far are you moving the camera to recompose? What f stop are you using? If you are moving from the left eye from the center of the photo to the left side of the frame and using something like f/1.8, you are going to loose some sharpness do to the change in focus distance.

I use bbf all the time but depending on what I am shooting, I use a focus point as close to the composition that I want to have in my final photo.

Practice is always a good thing.
^^That^^ "Focus and recompose" is a technique that can cause serious issues if your depth of field is not sufficient to acount for the change in composition. BBF is a useful tool in certain situations, but like anything, it's NOT an all or nothing scenario. That article strikes me like many I have read which talk about the wonders of shooting fully manual. Yes, you should know how to do it, and in the right circumstances it's useful, but it's by no means the be all/end all, nor does it make you cooler because you use it. The same with BBF. Know it, practice it and know when it's appropriate and when it's unnecessary.

I hate to admit it, but I have never really understood how to use BBF, or even my AE/AF-lock button on the D7000. I've also never bothered to take the time to RTFM about it either, though. I never think about it until I'm out somewhere and then I think, "I wish I knew how that worked."
Gotta make it a priority to at least learn HOW to do this--then I can decide whether it's helpful to me or not.

I use BBF. There is a learning curve and it will take some time until one becomes completely comfortable with BBF. If you are a long time shutter release button focus person, the initial plunge into BBF is very awkward. One of those muscle-memory things. Obviously, the more you use BBF the quicker you will arrive at your comfort level.

If you are shooting stationary subjects where you have time to move your focus point around the LCD/viewfinder ... it is better to frame and move a focus point.

If you're shooting a non-stationary subject where timing is critical, BBF can be a wonderful tool. I shoot a lot of action and with BBF I can slam my focus finger and pump the BB without having to temper my slams for fear of releasing the shutter. Not having to worry about 'shutter release finger modulation', (depressing the shutter release only halfway down), is just one less thing for me to worry about and I can concentrate more brain power, (a commodity of such short supply I shouldn't dilute what little I have and spread it around), on composition and timing.

For me, BBF has been well worth the effort.

Gary

Last edited:
I hate to admit it, but I have never really understood how to use BBF, or even my AE/AF-lock button on the D7000. I've also never bothered to take the time to RTFM about it either, though. I never think about it until I'm out somewhere and then I think, "I wish I knew how that worked."
Gotta make it a priority to at least learn HOW to do this--then I can decide whether it's helpful to me or not.
Page 232 of the d7000 manual --> http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D7000_EN.pdf

F5: Assign the AE-L/AF-L button in the Custom Menu

you can assign that button a variety of things, such as:
AE-AF Lock - auto exposure & auto focus lock
AE Lock only
AF Lock only (my favorite)
AE Lock & Hold - stays locked until pressed a 2nd time, versus holding the button in
AF-ON - initiates autofocus. The shutter release button can not be used to focus - what most ppl use for BBF
FV Lock - lock flash value, 2nd press to cancel

Page 232 of the d7000 manual --> http://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/kie88335f7869dfuejdl=-cww2/D7000_EN.pdf

F5: Assign the AE-L/AF-L button in the Custom Menu

you can assign that button a variety of things, such as:
AE-AF Lock - auto exposure & auto focus lock
AE Lock only
AF Lock only (my favorite)
AE Lock & Hold - stays locked until pressed a 2nd time, versus holding the button in
AF-ON - initiates autofocus. The shutter release button can not be used to focus - what most ppl use for BBF
FV Lock - lock flash value, 2nd press to cancel

Thank you!! Only…now I have NO excuse to learn how to do this, do I? :048:
Guess I'll be checking this out tonight when I get home!

as mentioned, it takes some getting used too.
Syncing your fingers together to work together rather than separately.

but once your fingers work, then it definitely shows it's benefits.

I find BBF is overrated much of the time. For the beginner, the biggest danger is using BBF, then forgetting about it, and winding up with out of focus shots because the AF has been removed from its normal association with the shutter release button.

It's kind of one of those things that many people get all excited about when they first find out about it. Like shooting wide-open all the time or "getting bokeh".

Yes, you should know how to do it, and in the right circumstances it's useful, but it's by no means the be all/end all, nor does it make you cooler because you use it.

The "I Shoot BBF" t-shirt is the new "I Shoot Raw" t-shirt.

Yes, you should know how to do it, and in the right circumstances it's useful, but it's by no means the be all/end all, nor does it make you cooler because you use it.

The "I Shoot BBF" t-shirt is the new "I Shoot Raw" t-shirt.

They go on sale at my soon to be launched website, save up your "$19,95 plus shipping and handling" now. :boogie::boogie::boogie::boogie:

I use BBF when I'm shooting static subjects, but switch back when I'm shooting sports or wildlife.

Most reactions

Back