Back drop

mike421

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey ppl i just paid 300+ dollars for my sons pictures. the quality is at best ehhh. since i have some good equipment i was thinking about snapping my own. whatse as a back drop? sheets stuff like that? there is a photo studio going out of buisness so i can check that out if its not gonna be to expensive. gimme some ideas please......

Muslin fabric is a common background...or large rolls of paper.

mike421 said:
hey ppl i just paid 300+ dollars for my sons pictures. the quality is at best ehhh. since i have some good equipment i was thinking about snapping my own. whatse as a back drop? sheets stuff like that? there is a photo studio going out of buisness so i can check that out if its not gonna be to expensive. gimme some ideas please......

Depends on what you need of course.
BTW, what age is your son?
And what kind of photos do you intend to make of him? Portrait (head & shoulders)? Full length? In a setup scene (like on a couch or at a desk)?

Not only do you need backdrops, lighting.

Look into umbrella lights.

Not expensive, and does wonders.

Also check out some HD lense's for that cam of yours.

Can you give me an idea of where to buy these lights? The last post I saw regarding this told me I needed to buy a 600 dollar alienbees setup. To me, that's expensive.:D

texassand said:
Can you give me an idea of where to buy these lights? The last post I saw regarding this told me I needed to buy a 600 dollar alienbees setup. To me, that's expensive.:D

That photog also has an expensive light setup and a studio that need to be financed. That's why you "just paid 300+ dollars for [your] sons pictures"....

But at the other end of the spectrum: you could also make do with good old window light and/or a flashgun and/or a (D-I-Y) reflector.
Rembrandt had only that window light and candles, and look what he did with it!

Most reactions

Back