Back to the future

guitstik

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I feel as if I have stepped into a spacial time warp of sorts. My daughter has caught the photo bug and I just purchased an old Minolta X-370 SLR. I can remember a long long time ago when I was not much older than she, that I would spend days lost on my own photo shoots and then barricade myself away in my make shift dark room for 16-20hrs processing and then developing rolls upon rolls of film. I would often emerge bleary eyed and tired but fulfilled with the knowledge that I had maybe a half dozen excellent photographs.

I long for those days sometimes and I envy my daughter the thrill and excitement of raising lens and eye to a new way to view the world in which she lives. My days are past and the road that I have taken has parted me from what could have been to what is now. I have watched her with her "new" passion and I am filled with a sense of pride that maybe she can grow not into what I want for her but what she desires for herself.

She talks of being a photographer for a major magazine and I encourage her to find that path and those who may guide her in her journey. I ask those of you on the forum that may encounter this young "woman" (ahhhhg), please be kind and encouraging as well as she moves on to the next phase of her life and learns of the wonder that is photography.

I started her with an SLR because I want her to learn the basics of the art and all the little nuances that go with it, and I just feel that a digital camera for a beginner makes it to easy. How can you learn to play with contrast, shade and light except by "spooning" those areas you want during the development process. Try doing that with a digital camera. Just my opinion.

Please excuse me if I got a little sentimental in this post but I still have that bug and she has stirred it anew in me.

Great to hear you've been 'stirred'. Welcome to the forum, and have fun

The feeling of sentiment can lead one down different paths. It can be a real moment, of which you seem to think has pasted you by. That is not so if you don't let it be.

Enjoy your daughter's path, and refresh yours anew.

Most reactions

Back