Back Up Wedding Photographer

I don' know about the others but I strongly doubt people will have others hold a date for a fee. They would probably charge the same as what they would for a wedding they could have shot that day or else it wouldn't make sense financially.

Does this hold even if the backups aren't normal wedding photographers? I would think that if your backups are capable photographers but aren't wedding photographers, then they'd be more willing to hold it open.

In that case no. I still don't think I would be paying a fee for someone to hold their day open though. Let's say you have 10 weddings one year and pay your back-up $100 to 'reserve' their day. That is $1000 of expense with no gain (hopefully that is the case really). It may act as insurance but...

Come on - it's only a minor heart attack, you can shoot a wedding the next day :lol:

I guess that would be one very good reason to have an assistant who you are confident in. If anything happens you send them and they already had the day held.

If you have a network of 10 photographers - I strongly doubt that every single one will be busy (unless they are the top 10 in the city let's say. If all else fails strike up a conversation with your local art college and see if their students could be used (worst case scenario one might say if you get the barely passing student but.. hey!)

Most wedding shooters in our area work as couples. At least the significant other is the photog's assistant. Most are capable of filling in should an emergency arise. Doing weddings, I think you should have a backup for everything. Absolutely everything. The most important day of the Bride's life and you are there to make it a masterpiece. Through all the missed cues, forgotten rings, fallen cakes, torn or ill fitting clothes, falls, mised lines, sweat and toil, it's up to you to make it look great. Backups for everything!

I know that did not answer the O.P.'s question. I am sure you could find someone that wants in the business, or a non-wedding shooter that would work as an assistant and could fill in after a suitable "break-in period". An assistant or second does give a much more professional quality to your presence and might see and direct you to "the" PJ style shot that gets your studio the recognition it deserves

Perhaps joining a group like the Pro Wedding Photographer's forum would be beneficial for some of you? They have a forum specifically for photogs that are looking for assistants. I shoot horse shows and I'm a pro member of the Equine Photographer's Network. The EPN provides a service that allows me to send out an assistant request to all the registered members of their site. Its been a great tool for me to find assistants or backup photogs if something happens and I can't cover a horse show.

My state PPA affiliate came to my aid after an accident. 6 different photogs drove to my little town to help me with my bookings. I also have employees, so the studio stayed open. Just to say that being active in a professional association has wonderful emergency benefits.

I have set up a network of local photogs.....we all have a list of potential wedding photographers to call should an emergency arise. The replacement photographer agrees to the fee that the contracted photographer is paid (minus album sales, etc, just basic shoot the day). This is also written in our contracts with the couple....and it says we will make best efforts, but not guarantee a replacement photographer.

Btw, this is not something in place when we book a wedding, just should an emergency arise, we have a long list of local togs who MIGHT be available!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back