Backdrop filters (?)

fxjoeyy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently went to a photoshoot where the photographer asked me to pick a color for the backdrop and showed me 4 different colored filter looking things...(lol). The backdrop was gray... I didn't pay attention to how he put it onto his camera, or if he even inserted it at all (I was thinking about other things). I was woondering...

What were thoes filters? What are they called? How does the photographer apply it to the camera/photos? And how did he add my color of choice onto the gray backdrop without tinting the entire image? Is the original gray backdrop a special backdrop? I'm very new and clueless to all this.

Thank you for your time, help, and patience. :)

Last edited:
If he was just selecting the colour of the background then those filters were probably just coloured gels to place in front of the flash.

But wouldn't the filter turn the entire image the filter's color? Or add the tinted color on the face of the model? How does the photographer make the chosen backdrop color soo vibrant, and the model not (not blue)? :(

ALSO: There was no background lighting, just a light on me and a flash on the camera.

Here is a photo from the photoshoot. I really loved how the gray backdrop looked soooo gorgeously blue:

27yo8sg.jpg

Last edited:
Is that photo a butchered sample or the final product? That doesn't look sharp at all! Anbd it looks like someone over-processed it.

On a side note, the background is beautiful and I have no idea how they did it.

It was the sample. :)

But wouldn't the filter turn the entire image the filter's color? Or add the tinted color on the face of the model? How does the photographer make the chosen backdrop color soo vibrant, and the model not (not blue)? :(

ALSO: There was no background lighting, just a light on me and a flash on the camera.

Here is a photo from the photoshoot. I really loved how the gray backdrop looked soooo gorgeously blue:

Are you sure there wasn't a flash pointed at the back drop? because if there wasn't id be very interested to know just what he/she was doing.

It certainly looks like there was a light on the background...and that's where the filter/gel would go, to color the background.

It certainly looks like there was a light on the background...and that's where the filter/gel would go, to color the background.
Yep it was there somewhere. It may have been behind the backdrop even.

Most reactions

Back