Backdrop Stands and setup help please

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
With the winter months coming I really need to invest in a backdrop and stand set up. last year i got by with sheets and stuff but that is so unprofessional so i need to do it right this year. I have no idea what to get so help me pretty please

TIA

Hey Bellacat,
I use this http://www.photoflex.com/Photoflex_Products/ProDuty_BackDrop_Support_Kit/index.html for my backdrop stand both in studio and on location and it has held up very well. It is also very sturdy. As far as Backdrops go do not be afraid to make your own. Check out the local fabric stores and hobby stores one for muslin and other fabrics that are already made, as well as white muslin and various colors that are easy to die using RIT die. after a little practice you can you will be able to do 10x20's with various patterns.
316175095_EmL7k-XL.jpg

Me and the wife made this one it is a 10' x 20'. Other then making your own well I can not help much because that is what I have always done.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have that same photoflex system. It works well. It's basically just 2 really sturdy light stands with a cross beam that's telescopic. I also bought a couple muslin backgrounds at the time and went w/ Black and White. Muslins are pretty expensive for what they are.

I've used paper, it's nice for a smooth background but it's harder to work with. You have to worry about it getting dirty or rips & tears....not to mention that you can't fold a roll...so moving it is a real PITA. If you are setting it up in a studio, that's not much of an issue (once you get it there) but if you are more portable with your studio, paper really isn't very practical.

There are plenty of backdrop sellers...look around (search).

*edit*
I forgot about the stand. I bought a BG stand from Amvona, it was $100 and works well. I would, however, recommend a set that uses a standard 'light stand' connection at the top of the stands...rather than the threaded bolt that my set uses. This way, the stands could more easily double as light stands and vice versa.

I have been using the Manfrotto Backdrop stand for almost a year now and I am very happy with it.
It is light and portable, but still very sturdy, I have used at larger shoots (Fashion) and smaller shoots in clients homes.
Everything just works well and can support large muslin, or large rolls of paper.
It is something you should only have to buy once so don't do too cheap, it will save you money in the long run.
As Big Mike also said, the Manfrotto stands can be used a light stands as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back