Backdrops that wont wrinkle

dannylightning

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need something that is easily portable, I was thinking paper would be good but than I realized I need to transport it, a 9 foot roll of paper is not going to fit in my car well, I had to put a 7 foot long bar in my car once and it was had to go up in between the drivers and passenger seat and it was hard to shift and those rolls of paper will be even longer.

cloth seems like it will wrinkle easily but you can easily fold it up is there any cloth backdrops that wont wrinkle.
I was thinking maybe jersey sheets would work well, I have those on my bed and well it does not seem to wrinkle but I have not folded them up for long periods of time. .

I would think vinyl would get creases in it if you leave it folded up and those also seem kind of expensive.

I have a poly blend backdrop that is got. It is resonably wrinkle free.

Microfiber plush blankets, like the large ones sold at Target stores, are my faves for location backdrops that can be carried and not arrive totally ruined with wrinkles and creases.

Last time I was at target all the micro fiber blankets had snow flakes or soccer balls or some kind of design on them. So I ended up buying a bed sheet instead but it gets all wrinkled up. I'll have to make a trip to a different target

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk

What do you recommend for pet photography? I want something also that can withstand being torn from their nails, not get super dirty and if it does I can easily clean it up, and does not wrinkle when storing it. I also need to be able to travel with it. I like vinyl, but not sure if it's everything I need. Thoughts?

Ideally, keep your background far enough back that the wrinkles aren't an issue. I use a hand steamer on my muslins, as well as stretching them tight between the uprights of my backdrop stand.

Ideally, keep your background far enough back that the wrinkles aren't an issue. I use a hand steamer on my muslins, as well as stretching them tight between the uprights of my backdrop stand.
You beat me to it .. use little clamps to tighten them in between your BG stands.

Thanks for the suggestions on not having the subjects so close to the backdrop and using clamps; I am aware of these types of things. I am specifically asking for backdrop materials. :) Plywood, very funny. I could just see me lugging those around now. Don't think that will fit in my Jetta or be very attractive as a backdrop.

Lastolite pop-up backdrops are reasonably good, although usually don't come cheap. There are some Kenko ones kicking out too, that I have seen on my travels. If you have a large enough vehicle you could stick the fabric to some 50mm plastic waste pipe and roll it up. Vinyl is also good if you can roll it in the same manner. I store and transport mine this way.

Thanks for the suggestions on not having the subjects so close to the backdrop and using clamps; I am aware of these types of things. I am specifically asking for backdrop materials. :) Plywood, very funny. I could just see me lugging those around now. Don't think that will fit in my Jetta or be very attractive as a backdrop.
What Derrel mentions with the blankets is really good.

But if you require length, such as a 10x20 (either find a really long bed blanket) or a Muslin for me was the only answer. The problem is that you can stretch it at the BG but coming forward it does stay wrinkled. Then use some weights to make sure the front part is stretched especially right underneath the subject. Or steam it (i've never done that yet).

If you're doing pets, than either paper or vinyl rolls are the best choice IMO; soiled paper is thrown away, and vinyl washes easily. Getting white husky fur off of a thundre grey muslin is NOT a fun job, and neither is washing after a nervous puppy left you a 'gift'.

If you're doing pets, than either paper or vinyl rolls are the best choice IMO; soiled paper is thrown away, and vinyl washes easily. Getting white husky fur off of a thundre grey muslin is NOT a fun job, and neither is washing after a nervous puppy left you a 'gift'.
I want to do "funny" and "agree" on this :)

you can always cut a strip of your paper down that's able to fit in a car.

Most reactions

Back