Backdrops

allykat411

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I take a lot of photos of my girls, but most are usually just snapshots and nothing "formal." More often than not, they have a lot of crap in the background. Can I use a bed sheet as a backdrop without it looking horrible?

Go to a fabric store and buy a nice large piece of black velvet or similar material (or white, or blue, etc.).

It's probably cheaper than a nice bed sheet and you may also find a bunch of other fabric(s) that might make a nice backdrop. :thumbup:

Edit: Also, a good off camera flash, light stand and umbrella would really help make some nice pictures as well.

I've been using bed sheets for backdrops. They can look OK, but with anything, how a backdrop looks will depend on how you light the backdrop. And of course, lighting the subject is more important than the backdrop.

I take a lot of photos of my girls, but most are usually just snapshots and nothing "formal." More often than not, they have a lot of crap in the background. Can I use a bed sheet as a backdrop without it looking horrible?

My personal belief is that you can just buy a decent backdrop without paying a whole lot. I would figure that to be worth the trouble, and much better then a bed sheet or random fabric.

Edit: Try this person $40 isn't a bad price and less expensive then some bed sheets. Or you can try Aurabackdrops.com They have good variety, and I have seen some way good priced ones here.

Last edited:
I read somewhere about using a "special green background" and then using a program that can change this green background to hundreds (thousands) of different backdrop designs. This green background has a special name which I've forgotten (of course) :(

Anyone have experience using this? Anyone remember name of this background? Was like "chromascreen" or something :(

It's often called chromakey.

When you use a color that strongly contrasts with your subject, it makes it easier to extract them and put in a new background. Just because it's easier, doesn't neccesarily mean that it will be easy though. And getting the final product to look good, is another thing that can be easy buy can also be pretty hard.

I'd suggest trying it out yourself...before investing too much into it. IMO, a photo with a 'real' backdrop and good lighting will always look better.

I have seen the bed sheet style many times, and I can usually always tell that it is bed sheet. Nothing can replace a good professional backdrop imo.

Thanks for all the input! I will definately start looking into investing in a "good" backdrop!

a blank wall always did me good :) unless youre going for the school year book look

I have seen the bed sheet style many times, and I can usually always tell that it is bed sheet. Nothing can replace a good professional backdrop imo.

That's because the bed sheet shooter generally don't kow what they're doing. If they know not to side light the bed sheet, distance the subject, and shoot at a wider aperture, then you can't tell.

Thanks for all the input! I will definately start looking into investing in a "good" backdrop!

Budget? $140 will get you a backdrop stand and a roll of seemless paper.

That's because the bed sheet shooter generally don't know what they're doing. If they know not to side light the bed sheet, distance the subject, and shoot at a wider aperture, then you can't tell.

Not too many people would think to do that though. I would imagine that a lot of poor college students like me would use the bed sheets.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back