Backdrops

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by nkmaurer, Nov 5, 2007.

1. nkmaurer

nkmaurer TPF Noob!

I was just wondering if anyone can let me know where they get there backdrops at.....at a descent cost. Right now I just have white, black and a gorgeous brown and blue 10x20 muslin that I love and got off of ebay! I need to get more of a variety though

Thanks

2. The Phototron

The Phototron TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I love how you just have 3 backdrops. :D

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've been looking around and I haven't found any one place that seems to be the best.

I've heard plenty of recommendations about Amvona.com (I've bought my background stand from them) but the prices on their web site are not great on the muslins. However, they have an E-bay store and the prices start very low....but most get bid up...but not usually as high as their store prices.

There are several other E-bay stores that sell them and obviously plenty of web sites that sell them directly.

4. The Phototron

The Phototron TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Since we are on the topic, is there such thing as a completely opaque black backdrop? Because my room is painted white, and there's not enough space for the subject to be distant enough from the backdrop that light only reaches the subject and not the black backdrop.

5. ahphotography

ahphotography TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    This is where I've gotten a few of mine - They are pretty nice. I won mine through ebay and did get it pretty cheap. Tip: What the shipping - some are very high. Ever thought of making your own... I'm getting ready to start a few. Never done it yet but look forward to learn!

Hope this helps...

6. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Chroma-Key. Or black velvet if you've got a lot of money to spend.

7. Alpha

Alpha Troll Extraordinaire

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've made a couple using 12'x15' canvas dropcloths from Home Depot. Just prime and paint.

8. bellavita64

bellavita64 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have purchased 2 muslin backdrops from aurabackdrops.com. They are a nice weight and I am pleased with them. I have black and a dark mottled gray, both 10x20. They were $99 each. The nice thing is when you order from them, they send you a coupon for 20% off of your next order (which is why I bought the second one). They have more expensive backdrops too if you like the more "fru-fru" look (handpainted scenery, flowers, etc.). The only thing I would warn, since you are trying to keep the cost down, is that with the handpainted muslins, the actual product doesn't always look like the picture you see on the internet. Since they are handpainted (think eight-year-olds in China slinging paint around) the colors and patterns will vary with each one. I too am planning on doing a few on my own; then I will have complete creative control over what it looks like. I bought the stuff in August and have successfully procrastinated until now it is probably too cold to tackle the project yet this fall. (I sense this is a backyard project).

9. Holy Ghosted

Holy Ghosted TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit