Background for portraits

Sweetsomedays

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What do you use and where do you get it? I'm not going pro or anything, this is just for family stuff but I would like to use something other then my blankets and sheets.

I started with sheets from big department store. White, Black and Gray. If also added fantasy cloth I purchased from http://backdropoutlet.com/catalog/. I modify the back ground color with gels. This give me many options so my portraits made at home do not all have same background.

Russell

You don't happen to have any handy walls covered in nice, un-noisy wallpaper? Some of the walls in my living-room have a marbled light blue wallpaper that makes for an instant if not very professional backdrop...

I like to make portraits of people doing what they do, surrounded by what they use, and in the locale in which they do it.

Just this past week, I returned my application to volunteer at my local SPCA shelter to photograph the animals that need a good home. I recently purchased some basic studio gear - umbrella, reflectors, light stands and bits & pieces. It's a double whammy because (a) the obvious, I can invest my time to help those that can't necessarily help themselves and (b) it's an opportunity to hone my flash skills.

I checked out
Get blankets / sheets, bunch them up and tie them up tightly with rope and die them. Makes for very professional looking cheap portrait backgrounds. www.diyphotography.net
and it's another double whammy. (a) I love creative & inexpensive methods to accomplish my goals and (b) I'm crazy for tie-dye.

I've read enough references for using muslin as backdrops to know it's a fabric of choice and I'm only guessing it has non-reflective properties.

My question would be what colors will work for animals. I was originally thinking just black and white depending on the animal's color. But with a tie-dye I have to revisit that thought. Any suggestions?

Thank you every one for the good idea's. I will have to try dying the sheets....my son will love that art project :)

I grab mine from the local fabric store. It's very cheap with some great finishes. Lately I've been using some velvety fabric for a soft light absorbing look.

Most reactions

Back