Background Image Help

Brain916

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello forum, this is my first post and I really need some help.

I am taking pictures of shoes that I receive (not to sell) but to show a detailed look. Now what I wanted to do is have a clean, professional black background, all around. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

weapon-at-limited-2.jpg

Is there some sort of tutorial, or maybe someone in the forum can help how I can set up this whole background? Thank you very much in advance.

Thank you very much. Can anyone else chime in and explain what they do or used?

This is probably done with black seamless and glass or plexiglass below the shoe.

To get a dark background, you need to control the light and prevent it from reflecting off of the background, or at least not enough to register in your exposure. In this shot, the main light is coming from the left side and it probably has something to keep it from hitting the background. It also helps if the background is as far away from the subject as possible.

You could use paths in photoshop to make a selection. Inverse the selection and delete your background. Fill the background layer with black. Copy layer one and free transorm to flip that layer vertically and drag it underneath the subject. Then add a layer mask to help out make the "faux reflective" layer look more realistic.

my $0.02

Of course that may be considered cheating in a photography forum.

Last edited:
ok for these photos, which i think is what you looking for, all i used was a good quality black sheet, and a thick piece of glass that you could fine on an old glass top table or picture frame. then i usually turn the lights off in the room so there nothing lighting the backdrop and light my subject with what ever kind of lighting im useing.

allstar.jpg

squash2.jpg

im ganna try tonight to do this with one of my shoes to see what i can come it with using stuff around my house. Im staying at my parents house for xmas and they arnt into photography so ill have not much to deal with incase you dont either.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back