Background, lighting and settings in this video

RG91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
H all. I'm new here, first post.

I've been learning photography and DSLR video on my own for the past couple of years. I have a Canon EOS Mark III 5D and a couple lenses. I have a EF 50mm 1.4 USM and a Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM. I don't have much else.

I'm curious what you pros think about this video below. What kind of background and lighting do you think is used? The video is really shaky but other than that, I'm trying to reproduce the look.

Does it look like pipe and drape? Crinkled up paper? hiding under the sheets in a bed with an red exit sign behind the sheet? What sort of lens and lighting do you think is being used?

I've tried a bunch of different things and so far can't reproduce this. My goal is to make a video for a product demo kind of like this. I don't want a plain white background. I'd like to make it interesting.

Thanks

Look at the 'catch lights' reflected in his eyes and the shadows the light(s) cast on his face and neck that show where the lights were, how high, and at what angle up/down they were set.

Flash can't be used to make video. Flash units cannot recycle quick enough. Constant lights have to be used.

The background could be anything, but a shallow depth-of-field (DoF) was used to blur whatever it was. Note what looks to be a laptop screen in the lower right corner that is also blurred, another indication a shallow DoF was used.

Thanks. I noticed the big square catchlight and the Macbook reflection. I guess it's difficult to figure out what that background is and how far away the background is from the subject? The background or backdrop moves with the subject when the camera shakes. Does that mean the background is really close? maybe a few feet behind the subject?

Lighting looks like a large, overhead softbox or diffusion panel, close to the camera lens/subject axis. The lens is a wide-aperttre lens of medium-long focal length. My guess? Canon 85mm f/1.2-L lens. Background looks like maybe a painted wall mural.

I rented a Canon EF 85MM F/1.2L II USM and tried it today. The result was really similar to the video above, although the subject had to be about 4' away from the lens and the background had to be about 12' behind the subject. But looking at the first part of the video above, it appears the background is closer than 12' away. Because whenever the camera shakes, the background shakes, too. I was testing at f/1.2, ISO 200, shutter speed 50 (filming at 24 fps). Am I doing something wrong?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back