backgrounds

Portrayed1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there. I am looking at buying a background support system. My question is, which is better to use, Canvas, Paper or Muslin? And if you could give some reasons why, that would be great!!!

Jaime

Muslin is great because it is inexpensive, not to heavy and you can make them yourself or buy them many places, they are fairly durable and easy to pack.

Paper is great because it has a great look and is easy to work with, one roll can last a long time or only a few shoots depending on how you are using it. It is available many places but is harder to store and transport.

As for canvas, it is heavy.

Thanks for the input SpeedTrap...also, love your website and work!!!

hey thanks reg...that is an awesome site for dying muslin! putting it in my favs!

Black velvet is king. That material is the black hole of lighting. I'm waiting for a huge roll to dwindle down at a local materials shop and then I will pick up the last 40-50 feet for like 1/2 price.

I also have a Botera portable (foldable) backdrop (5" X 7") coming that folds away into a nice small carry bag. It's medium grey in colour.

In the meantime, I went to Walmart about 2 months ago and picked up some black material and blue jean material at 65 cents a running foot. Each is 8 feet wide and 20 feet long. No kidding, I paid just under $30 for the whole thing including the requisite 15% local taxes.

I seem to mostly prefer single colour darker backgrounds because I can gel my flashes and make them literally any colour I want.

The jean material (dark blue):

2907131121_17d3565e14_m.jpg
2907131183_c9d8c45f32_m.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back