Backing up RAW files?

Chairman7w

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi guys, when I first started, I was using jpgs. After each shoot, I would make a DVD back up of that whole shoot.

I have switched to shooting RAW.

However, I am, for some reason, unable to make DVD backups of the RAW files. I use Windows media Player to burn the DVDs, and I just drag the files over.

JPGS, I can drag over. I just won't let me move the RAW files. Anybody else run into this? Is there a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Ed

That sounds very weird. RAW files should be just like any other file.

Maybe the problem is that you are using a Windows program and Windows doesn't really recognize RAW files. Have you tried any other software to burn the discs? have you downloaded the Windows RAW viewer extension? Are your RAW files locked somehow?

What about trying nero? Would that burn your cds?
To me making a back up after each shoot sounds time consuming. I admit I have just started using RAW, however I intend to continue as I have with JPEGS. After each shoot create a folder, with name and date etc, in there have a folder with original (raw) a second one for WIP( work in progress) then a completed folder once you have done any changes COMPLETE(with tiff files) I generally would create the new folder for each shoot in a folder called Photos 1.1.09 to 1.2.09 for example. This then runs an auto back up to an external hard drive and once i have about 4gb worth i make a DVD. Also I believe PSE7 has a cd creating facilty but i have not used it yet...

You should just be able to use a windows explorer window. Insert your blank DVD, browse to it through My Computer then just drag the files you want to back up into the DVD window. You will then have the option to burn the files to disc.

I've never used Media Player to burn discs but I suspect it only wants to burn playable items like music or images. Since RAW files aren't playable in Media Player it doesn't want to burn them.

Solution: use a proper CD burning program!

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm at work now but I will defeinitely give that a shot (using other burning programs) when I get home tonght. Hell, I may run home and lunch to try it. (I hate loose ends)

Puyjapin, I like your backup system, I may give that a go. I DO back up my hard drive to an external hard drive regularly, but I like having a hard copy of each shoot as well. It's very quick, (normally, when it works), just take a second to throw in a DVD and drag some files over.

windows media player sucks. Download the latest version of nero. You can burn anything

i have a similar problem, whenever i try to backup my photos on to my external harddrive i always get an error when transferring my RAW files

i have a similar problem, whenever i try to backup my photos on to my external harddrive i always get an error when transferring my RAW files

1. What are you using to view the files?
2. How are you trying to move them?
3. What operating system are you using?

Often if any file is "open" or being viewed, you cannot move it or even often copy it.

1. What are you using to view the files?
2. How are you trying to move them?
3. What operating system are you using?
1.Normally i never open RAW files just to find the one i like, i open the jpeg first then when i go to convert the RAW i open it with the RAW converter
2.Using the automated back up software supplied with the drive(should i start to drag and drop them right into the folder?)
3. vista, 32 bit

pickup something like Nero, many burners even include software like that now

no one i've met in the IT industry uses the built in windows burning software

Why not just open my computor and click on the disk spot ( i beleive its e....not quite sure ....i dont backup files on disks to often. It should say something like CD-R or CD-RW drive)
Open my computor again and click on my pictures...find the images you want...and drag them over to the disk.

I personaly cant stand doing it this way. But it works when I need it too. As other people said...Nero or some other CD burning software.

Well congrats for shooting in raw. You simply cannot succeed as a professional photographer shooting JPEGS alone so that is a big first step. They are however, a little more tricky to deal with obviously though. Instead of burning them to a DVD you might be better off putting them on a an external hard drive. They are very cheap these days and will be much more reliable than a DVD which can have memory problems in the future.

I've never used Media Player to burn discs but I suspect it only wants to burn playable items like music or images. Since RAW files aren't playable in Media Player it doesn't want to burn them.

Solution: use a proper CD burning program!
This is the right answer.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back