backing up

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ddm1975, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ddm1975

ddm1975 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hardly ever post on here, so hopefully I am in the right place.

I back up my pictures with an external harddrive and occasionally burn disks, but am looking to buy something like a flash drive - the larger, the better, but do not want to spend more than $175 or $200 - maybe closer to 16GB. I wanted to know if anyone can recommend the best brands and the ones to stay away from. Thanks

2. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I personally use kingston, i've had like 3 of them (32mb , 256mb, 1gb) and all of them are still working. On the other hand i won't like to have all my valuable data on a flash drive, is still an electric device, so it could fail, maybe less than a hard drive but it could still fail, i save all my important data on dvd's they are cheaper and safer (try a good brand, not princo for instance) you can use dual layer which is 8gb and can store a lot of info for years (if well stored) without problems.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I use sandisk flash drives and have had good experiences with them.

4. H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    flash drives are not recomended for perminante storage. a hard drive is a much safer option.

5. ddm1975

ddm1975 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :) Thanks for the advice. Hollywood, I still do and always will use both of my harddrives, and occasionally burning disks, but I think about crazy things like house fires, theft, you know - things that could happen to wipe out everything. I just wanted something to carry around for my favorites (which are a lot). I also have my pics all posted on Fotki.com, but don't know if they keep the original file size that I've uploaded. I think they've upgraded to that, but not sure if I trust it. I guess I could always check it out. Anyone know a good - non-expensive place to back up all of my files in the original form?

6. plastii

plastii TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Well you could try this:
    http://www.hypershop.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=46
    It's olny a casing but you can buy a HDD on ebay pretty cheap. You can even use it while in the field to backup your photos and it's very practical. My friend bought one few weeks ago and he's very happy with the performance.

Marek.