backing up

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ddm1975, Nov 1, 2007.

1. ddm1975

ddm1975 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hardly ever post on here, so hopefully I am in the right place.

I back up my pictures with an external harddrive and occasionally burn disks, but am looking to buy something like a flash drive - the larger, the better, but do not want to spend more than $175 or $200 - maybe closer to 16GB. I wanted to know if anyone can recommend the best brands and the ones to stay away from. Thanks

2. solrac8126

solrac8126 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

I personally use kingston, i've had like 3 of them (32mb , 256mb, 1gb) and all of them are still working. On the other hand i won't like to have all my valuable data on a flash drive, is still an electric device, so it could fail, maybe less than a hard drive but it could still fail, i save all my important data on dvd's they are cheaper and safer (try a good brand, not princo for instance) you can use dual layer which is 8gb and can store a lot of info for years (if well stored) without problems.

3. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I use sandisk flash drives and have had good experiences with them.

4. H0LLYW00D

H0LLYW00D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    flash drives are not recomended for perminante storage. a hard drive is a much safer option.

5. ddm1975

ddm1975 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :) Thanks for the advice. Hollywood, I still do and always will use both of my harddrives, and occasionally burning disks, but I think about crazy things like house fires, theft, you know - things that could happen to wipe out everything. I just wanted something to carry around for my favorites (which are a lot). I also have my pics all posted on Fotki.com, but don't know if they keep the original file size that I've uploaded. I think they've upgraded to that, but not sure if I trust it. I guess I could always check it out. Anyone know a good - non-expensive place to back up all of my files in the original form?

6. plastii

plastii TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit