"backlight"

Starlite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been told a little bit about a "backlight", and how it is used to create different effects and outlines for portrait photos....

Can anyone help me on the basics of what the backlight does, and if anyone has a photo or two that would illustrate examples, that would be too too cool.

thank you!!!! :bigangel:

Do you mean a light to make a halo around your subject? If that is what you mean, take a look at my avatar, it uses a light aimed back at the subject.

You can also use backlighting to create a silhouette (person is completely dark, surroundings are visible). For silhouettes, you need strong backlighting and little or no keylight, and expose for the background, not the person.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
A 'back light stand'...is just a basic light stand that is not as tall as a regular light stand. This makes it easy to hide behind the subject. You would then use a light to either back light the subject, as seen in Ladyphotog's avatar...or you can use the light to light up the background...or both.

The one you linked to...looks to have a standard light stand head on it. That should accommodate any standard light or accessory.

Most reactions

Back