Backlit Subjects

The flash can have commander mode all day long, but if the camera doesnt how does one fire the single flash? With a remote like the cactus triggers right?

Ideally, yeah you want the Sb-900. It's just plain better, but obviously more expensive. Now a perfectly viable option is to pick up the 600, and then down the road pick up the 900. That way you have a flash NOW and can learn to use single strobe. At that point you can expand to work with the 900 in commander mode and a second flash. After that, pick up another 600.

Ya, I should have mentioned triggers. Nikon has made wireless so convinient I just dont think of them much.

Did I miss what camera he is shooting?

Just checked and looks like D300

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D300
Lens: 18.0-70.0 mm f/3.5-4.5
Image Date: 2010-08-27 19:28:39 -0700
Focal Length: 44.0mm (35mm equivalent: 66mm)
Focus Distance: 1.41m
Aperture: f/4.2
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 640
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual
Light Source: Shade
Flash Fired: No

As for the shot, I would expose for the background and fill your subject with some off camera flash.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i can use the pop up flash on a D300 as a commander, allowing for any flash along the lines of the sb-600 to be used as a slave, correct?

Should be able to on the D90 and up bodies I believe.
Easy way to check is to look in your menu under flash.

On the matter of reflectors, I've heard that dashboard reflectors work well as the poor-man's reflectors. Any other suggestions?
This may not work for you now because of budget restraints, but the Lastolite Tri Grip is really a great design. You can easily shoot with one hand and hold the reflector in the other. (No live model available.... Winston is always up for the gig though)

994477072_JM2yB-XL.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but i can use the pop up flash on a D300 as a commander, allowing for any flash along the lines of the sb-600 to be used as a slave, correct?
Correct, but with caveats. It is an IR trigger. This means you need to be kinda-sorta in line-of-sight from your pre-flash to the unit's receiver. It works great indoors because you can bounce the pre-flash around. In broad daylight, the signal between camera and flash sometimes gets lost. I finally went with RF triggers to overcome the hassles and misses.​

Also, What would be the benefits of a SB-800 over a SB-600 for similar shots?
The SB-800 can be used as a Commander flash, it can zoom to 105 mm, it has SU-4 mode, it has an external powerpack jack, it has a built-in PC port.

The SB-600 is very basic and cannot do/has any of the above, except it can zoom to 85mm.
is the increased power/utility worth spending the additional $150+ for it? I don't have any flashes atm, and i'm just wondering if I should save up for the sb-800 first, or get an sb-600 much sooner.

Most reactions

Back