Backyard Portraits - Any Suggestions?

pgowder

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was playing around this weekend doing some portraits in the backyard with a backdrop and a reflector. Never tried this before and wanted to hear some tips, suggestions, etc.

Thanks!

The lighting is pretty good overall; even and with large highlights in the eyes. The little girl's dark hair could maybe use a little more light (judging by how it looks on my monitor), and in the 1st one it looks to me like she may be squinting a little, which is a common issue in outdoor portraits.

#1: I always like to have something besides just the face - ie. get her hands in the photo, or an appropriate prop (like a flower, or a hat matching the dress)

#2: Good job! Nothing needs to be changed, except maybe more light on the little girl's hair and the dark area between them. They have natural expressions, and the eyes are both looking at the viewer.

#3: In my opinion the girl's cute expression and pose, make any technical issues irrelevant! (The technical issues would be, again the hair is slightly too dark, and the finger out-of-focus.)

The lighting is pretty good overall; even and with large highlights in the eyes. The little girl's dark hair could maybe use a little more light (judging by how it looks on my monitor), and in the 1st one it looks to me like she may be squinting a little, which is a common issue in outdoor portraits.

#1: I always like to have something besides just the face - ie. get her hands in the photo, or an appropriate prop (like a flower, or a hat matching the dress)

#2: Good job! Nothing needs to be changed, except maybe more light on the little girl's hair and the dark area between them. They have natural expressions, and the eyes are both looking at the viewer.

#3: In my opinion the girl's cute expression and pose, make any technical issues irrelevant! (The technical issues would be, again the hair is slightly too dark, and the finger out-of-focus.)

Thanks for the suggestions. So to get more light on the hair, how should I handle that? In post?

When I did formal outdoor portraits, I'd use the sunlight on the hair (late, low sun), and fill in the face with a flash or reflector (I prefer reflector), one stop less than the sun.

I like them, the light and focus looks great. Did you do something to the skin in post? It looks a bit overworked. Could be just my laptop though.

I like them, the light and focus looks great. Did you do something to the skin in post? It looks a bit overworked. Could be just my laptop though.
I did use the skin brush in Lightroom. Just started playing with that so it may be overdone a bit.

Thanks!

I think it looks fine on the mom but little kids have such beautiful skin as it is. I try it in Photoshop and my daughter always says she looks plastic, like a barbie.

I think it looks fine on the mom but little kids have such beautiful skin as it is. I try it in Photoshop and my daughter always says she looks plastic, like a barbie.
Thanks for the tip!

And yes, my wife is in love with that brush now!!

Most reactions

Back