Bad day!...

Mitica100

Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, it wasn't today but yesterday. As I was working at home reflooring the house (finished today) I got a call from one of my best friend's wife. She told me they were in a serious accident while driving past Flagstaff and on their way to Santa Fe. Her hubby was driving in the rain and they skidded and went over the embankment (sp?), rolling over and over like in the movies. They ended the right side up but the driver's side was all bashed in, hence the driver, my best friend, was injured and in severe pain. His wife and her mom escaped with a few cuts and bruises and were able to get out of the Toyota Forerunner, called 911 and had the EMT come with the 'jaws of life', having to cut through the roof of the car in order to extract him. He ended up in a hospital, with only a few broken ribs and some bruising of the liver and spleen. However, I talked today with him and he seems to be on the mend! :) It seems like he will be released in matter of days.

I'm going to visit him tomorrow in Flagstaff, I also offered to take pictures of their totaled Toyota and of their two fine cellos (both of them musicians) which were reduced to splinters. Man, what a nightmare for them now, even if the car and the instruments were insured.

So, ya'll be minding your driving in the rain! I don't want no TPF-ers in any accidents, you hear? :wink:

I hear you, Mitica. I hear you! Haven't I myself skidded into the guard rail in only drizzle (!) last year in October?

I am glad to hear they came out of the wreck so relatively unharmed ... as I learned in a TV programme one day, rolling over looks spectacular, is, however, a much better way to escape fairly unharmed than hitting something solid! The impact of the accident is divided by so-and-so many times when you roll over and does not hit the human body THAT much. (Though broken ribs hurt like hell!)

Sorry to hear about the instruments, but... they can be replaced, a life can't!

driving in the rain scares me... I've got a camper/kombi and the high sides make it a little sketchy in bad weather... can't wait till i've built my beach buggy.. that thing will have serious stability!
i assume they were all wearing their seat belts then?
clunk click EVERY trip.
Glad they're on the mend... stuff is just stuff.. people are faaaar more valuable. :)

captain-spanky said:
driving in the rain scares me... I've got a camper/kombi and the high sides make it a little sketchy in bad weather... can't wait till i've built my beach buggy.. that thing will have serious stability!
i assume they were all wearing their seat belts then?
clunk click EVERY trip.
Glad they're on the mend... stuff is just stuff.. people are faaaar more valuable. :)

Yes, they were all wearing seat belts. And the problem with the driving in rain is major in Arizona. We don't have a lot of rain here, as you can imagine. So people don't really know how to drive on a wet pavement and all.

Yes, people are way more valuable than anything else, which is replaceable.

That had to have been terrifying for them, feeling themselves lose control and rolling over and over like that. :shock: I am so glad to hear everyone's going to be okay. :thumbup:

And while it IS awful the cellos were splintered, like LaFoto said they can be easily replaced - but not the musicians!!! :heart: Did they have them insured, by any chance?

Mitica100 said:
Yes, they were all wearing seat belts. And the problem with the driving in rain is major in Arizona. We don't have a lot of rain here, as you can imagine. So people don't really know how to drive on a wet pavement and all.

Yes, people are way more valuable than anything else, which is replaceable.

Thats the good thing about us brits, we know about rain! Thats what were known for, we can drive in rain, que, and make damn good tea....

Glad they ok mate, I was scared that it was gonna end with him not making it, all these thousands of tpf members reading and being glad they ok...tell em that! itll make em feel good.

Anyways, enough ranting, glad they ok...

Glad they are ok. I guess in that respect, I am lucky to live in Illinois. We get every kind of weather, and grow up driving in it. I remember seeing video footage of traffic somewhere in the south during a very rare snow storm, and everyone was sliding all over the road and there were accidents everywhere. I never thought about it being the same way with rain in other parts of the country.

I'm glad they are okay! They have a good friend in you!

Holy Crap Mit! Dude is lucky.

Speaking of lucky!! The other day I was about to leave the homestead when I realized i hadn't checked the oil in my truck in weeks...so I pulled back up and shut off the engine and popped the hood. Low and behold there was kitten sitting on TOP of my engine. It looked at me like i was the grim reaper and bolted into the woods. I recognized it as the neighbors and left it to it's own means. It seemed okay in .063 seconds it sat there and moved liek it was fit. Lucky little turd.

terri said:
That had to have been terrifying for them, feeling themselves lose control and rolling over and over like that. :shock: I am so glad to hear everyone's going to be okay. :thumbup:

And while it IS awful the cellos were splintered, like LaFoto said they can be easily replaced - but not the musicians!!! :heart: Did they have them insured, by any chance?

Yes, they were both insured.

Just returned from visiting them. My friend is doing very well, they might even release him from the Hospital in two to three days. Phew... I was worried!

Anyway, I went and took pics of the accident site. Let me tell you, they were so darn lucky! Two things:

• after rolling the car stopped right side up upon hitting a direction sign; the ravine was after the sign! It seems the sign just stopped them within inches from being rolled into the ravine.
  • twelve to fifteen feet farther down there was a low rail concrete bridge (about 30 feet high) crossing that ravine; if the car would've kept skidding those additional twelve to fifteen feet they would've ended being killed!
Now, that's luck!

I thank you all for all the good words and encouragement, I'm positive that the TPF family sent some great vibes towards them and that's the reason they are doing so well. :wink: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Most reactions

Back