Bad Experience with 'Professional Photographer' NY

Me? To send a private message, click the words "Private Messages" on the top right side of each page. In that window, on the left side, click "Send New Message"

send it to JerryPH if that's something you want to talk about.

Me? To send a private message, click the words "Private Messages" on the top right side of each page. In that window, on the left side, click "Send New Message"

send it to JerryPH if that's something you want to talk about.

Actually, I was trying to send a PM to NikonNYC but I tried following what you told me and I don't see any Private Messages on my screen, I've checked the User CP as well but don't have that option either...

Hey, can you tone down the nastiness a little?

I don't want to get int some stupid argument but if someone's suffered at the hands of some rogue it's nice that they should take the trouble to warn others.

He wasn't asking for sympathy, just expressing his thanks for those that offered it.

These forums seem to be a generally nice and relaxed place where people can ask questions and exchange information so please. if you can't post without being unpleasant, consider not posting at all. :(

Bifurcator is just a bitter soul.. I would ignore him.

Nikon NYC, What a horrible experience. I have heard of people going through a similar ordeal, although not with the same character. My best advice is to turn the other cheek, until the wedding is over, and then worry about this character. Don't let this situation overshadow and ultimately ruin your wedding. It should be a happy day, of course with ups and downs, but it should ultimately be a happy day. I hope you find some restitution with this issue. So sorry that it had to happen to you.

DJ, you don't have enough posts to PM. The best you can do is email NYC.

Nikon NYC, What a horrible experience. I have heard of people going through a similar ordeal, although not with the same character. My best advice is to turn the other cheek, until the wedding is over, and then worry about this character. Don't let this situation overshadow and ultimately ruin your wedding. It should be a happy day, of course with ups and downs, but it should ultimately be a happy day. I hope you find some restitution with this issue. So sorry that it had to happen to you.

How would I do that? Usually, I would consider myself savvy with computers, but don't feel so much with these forums... Thanks for the help!

NikonNYC - alternatively you can email me at djmakd at hotmail

Did you sign a contract? Does the contract say he keeps the money if you back out? If yes, you got painted into a corner. I'd have a "guido" ready because chances are pretty good that if he did this once, he WILL do it again.

If not... because of his lack of ability to stick to the agreements, ask for your deposit money back and be out and out honest... you now want someone more reliable and trustworthy and unfortunately, its NOT him. Do this in the form of a letter from your lawyer. A few letters from people like is unpaid previous landlord stating that he is a shyster, and a few other people he's shafted in the past all help to paint HIM into the corner when it comes time to visit the courts. All you need to do is prove reasonably that you were concerned with his honesty based on past experience and he can do nothing but take it with a smile.

Of course, do this after you get and pay for your pics.

I just saw the contract and it was not much of a contract...it was just a listing of the event dates and times and the number of photographs he was going to provide and albums. There was nothing more to it than that. Do we have any legal leg to stand on?

How would I do that? Usually, I would consider myself savvy with computers, but don't feel so much with these forums... Thanks for the help!

NikonNYC - alternatively you can email me at djmakd at hotmail

Which part the ignoring part, or the posts? I think you have to have 25 posts to be able to PM people.

Where is the panic?

gryphon, virtually every anecdotal story on here is unproven.

There are plenty of threads on this site where people are warned off various suppliers on the basis of anecdotal evidence from other members.

It seems downright nasty to poke fun at someone who has suffered a particularly nasty experience (photographically speaking) simply because they mistyped '2007'.

$1300 may not be much to older members here but it's probably extremely significant to someone saving to get married.

Still, if you want to join in poking fun rather than offer the OP sympathy, you go ahead. Let's hope it makes you happy.

You are correct that a lot of the anecdotal stories are unproven. However, they are not posted on virtually every section of the forum with the same message. A message that does not ask advice, but one of obvious anger and accusal. When messages like this are posted in this manner it throws a red flag up for me as to what the real point here is.

Perhaps it is my 26+ years in law enforcement. Scams are part of the norm in everyday life. But the norm is not to exact a measure of revenge on the part of the victim. The norm is to seek justice. When I read this post it had the flavor of revenge that got stronger as I re-read it in multiple forums.

I feel for everyone that gets ripped off how ever it may occur. However I also understand that the courts are the place to settle those kinds of matters. That is the place where both sides will have their chance to have a say. The court of public opinion has no such guarantees. It often complicates, not helps matters

Keep in mind, if we live by the old saying " An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth," the whole world would be blind and toothless.

In many places in the world and even in some places in this country a posting like this could be considered slander. Freedom of speech does have it's limits. This is something that the OP could be held accountable for in court if they are unable to prove what they have posted. Not the best thing to have happen if you are in the right.

Well said!

Can you imagine if everyone who got a bunk deal came here and posted it? OMG this place would be swamped in "Beware" posts! And of course just like this thread the people would have to log on as two separate people for "self-support". There would be way more like this than "What Camera or Lens should I buy" threads.

Basically I feel like: Don't poop in the road right in front of me. Take your personal duties :D to the proper place.

It's not a real big deal to me either way because it doesn't happen too often but YUCK... I don't wanna read about someone's dirty undies... Eiw!!

There's two sides of every story and this is just a "mad" story by a pop-up user no one here even knows. How many other sites did this person post this on BTW? 8? 10? 50? I bet a google would pull up a bunch. This is much worse than spam! There's no facts, no evidence, yet the OP and his other self want us all to feel for him and assist him in condemning someone we know nothing about. How do we know the OP isn't a Arab hater or something? (tho I'm NOT suggesting that s/he is either...)

It's way too sticky for me. Usually these kinds of threads at least point to a news-paper article or some court proceedings but I think this is the first one I've seen where the person just runs around screaming "he's a bad guy... he's a bad guy..." and then treats those who don't think it's appropriate or who try to lighten it up a bit, rudely and goes on the attack path.

It's all a bit too odd to me...

Last edited:
I'm surprised this thread wasn't transferred into off topic it seems like it fits there more than in the foundations of photography area. Too emotional to be on topic.

Don't let this situation overshadow and ultimately ruin your wedding. It should be a happy day, of course with ups and downs, but it should ultimately be a happy day. I hope you find some restitution with this issue. So sorry that it had to happen to you.

Thank you, the only thing is that I would consider this to be a time sensitive situation. I just got home from work and found that my fiancee what on the phone in three way with other couples in reguards to this guy.

Mokeykoder, i really just wanted to find somewhere with good exposure for our whole community here but one of the mods saw it fit to merge all three to this thread so that what we have here.

Dj thanks for the info great talking to you hope to resolve this soon! GL

Last edited:
Did you sign a contract? Does the contract say he keeps the money if you back out? If yes, you got painted into a corner. I'd have a "guido" ready because chances are pretty good that if he did this once, he WILL do it again. quote]

Jerry I got a contract that clearly states he would shoot our wedding the entire day of Nov1st Now Dj just informed me that he had booked him for three days Oct31-Nov3, so his intentions are even more obvious now.

You and your friend need to go see a lawyer immediately, you have the basis for a great case if you can show 2 contracts, 2 deposits and conflicting dates. With this as well as a few other afidavids from landlord and what not, you can prove motive and intent. You also have a basis to have your money returned. Don't do this yourself, he will disappear... get someone to serve him some nice papers ordering him to appear in court.

Do it now. Time is not your friend.

Start looking for another photographer... e-session pics can be taken after the wedding just as nicely as before, just take the wedding bands off... lol

Last edited:
if you're in the NY area, call up www.damionedwardsphotography.com

Damion is awesome, did an amazing job with our wedding, and since this is such short notice, he might be able to give you a deal if he is available? He is usually booked months in advance, but thought I'd through the idea out there. . . you can PM me for his email info, etc. . .

Why am I a "bitter soul"? Because I think for myself? Or because I don't run around like a loon without it's head?

bitter... bitter... bitter... :D

Bifurcator, just lean back and leave any of this be... seems like silence is golden here. At least that's my impression.

What he wanted to say (in the sense of venting) has been said, on public forums such as this one it may be an anecdote, it may not be... now we all know and can inwardly deal with the knowledge as we feel is best. OK?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back