Bad Experience with 'Professional Photographer' NY

Bitter bitter... Grumble grumble... Takes the tip... Bitter bitter... Grumble grumble...

Hehehehe... :lol: Sure, no problem... ;)

NiconNYC and DJ - I have been searching the Internet trying to find people in the same situation as me...I hired Robert/Bobby from Art of Weddings for my wedding as well. I won't get into the whole story but he showed up for the wedding (June 28), everything was great, and then he dropped off the face of the planet. I have been trying to get in touch with him for months - also spoke with a girl named Naz who was working on my thank-you cards, but for the last few weeks I haven't had any of my emails returned and their phone has been off. We don't have any of our wedding pictures, none of the CDs, pics or thank you cards, etc. AND he has our $3,000. It looks like you two have spoken offline about this - can you bring me into the loop please? We are starting to become frantic and don't know what our next step should be. You can email me at [email protected].

Sorry to add to the list of posts about this, I know some people on here seem pretty upset about this string, but this is a terrible situation and I'm hoping to connect with others going through the same thing.

Thanks!

We have had the same experience. Our photographer was recommended by our wedding planner. He took great engagement photos (although he was late). He was late to the wedding but we dismissed that as well. After the wedding we contacted him and his company sent us cds of our wedding (unedited). That is when we completely lost contact. After calling about a zillion times he has promised to send us thank you cards (haven't received them), set up a password protected website for the photos (nope) and no word on the albums or stills we have in our contract. We have paid him nearly 5000 dollars and we have about 2 cds worth of unedited photos. Our wedding was 4 months ago. Please do not even attempt to use this company our you will be very sorry...i have told our wedding planner and everyone we know--we are trying to legal action, but not sure if that will do anything. We are mostly very sad about the albums since we did not have videography.

I don't have any advice on how to avoid or deal with scams like this. Unfortunately most folks don't have any experience with wedding photography, so it can be hard to spot the con artist. Anyone can throw up a professional looking website (heck, that might be a clue right there, many real pros have really lame websites), write up a good looking contract, steal photos off the internet for a portfolio, and arrange for fake referrals. I guess the only way is to hire someone who has photographed a wedding for people you actually know and can trust.

In my opinion it's con artists like this that I'm worried about hurting the industry, and not the amateurs working for cheap/free that many pros are bitching about.

the industry should consider moving to a 1/4 down and rest when the final product is delivered as it would promote more trust.

The reason this won't happen is because there are far more non-delivery/payment issues on the client side than on the pro side. The chances a pro will get stiffed by their client is much greater than the chance of hiring a con-artist masquerading as a pro photographer.

You know when I changed my policy to 100% payment 2 weeks before the wedding? Right after the first time I had trouble collecting after the wedding. I need 2 weeks to make sure the check clears.

I just saw the contract and it was not much of a contract...it was just a listing of the event dates and times and the number of photographs he was going to provide and albums. There was nothing more to it than that. Do we have any legal leg to stand on?

I am not a lawyer, but I would say yes you have a lot you can do. Contact a lawyer ASAP. This is not the place you should be wasting time at... you should be in your lawyer's office!

I am not a lawyer, but I would say yes you have a lot you can do. Contact a lawyer ASAP. This is not the place you should be wasting time at... you should be in your lawyer's office!
Agreed, don't waste your time talking to us. We're just a bunch of photo nuts. Go talk to a lawyer. Then come back and join us!:mrgreen:

Quite a few of cheated are posting on here. I think someone must have posted a link on one of the wedding sites to come here. Probably in hope the person or persons are on here and someone knows them. Trying to get information. I would bet they are hitting several photo forum sites trying to flush the people out.

Last edited:
I doubt that the sort of person who sets up such a scam is likley to be a prominant forum member of a photography site. Even if they are a member chances are that they are more background and most likley just after crits and info. Besides how many of us here are acutally using our full names in our profiles?
A scammer knows he/she is a scammer so they are hardly likley to advertise themselves - some might try to defend their business online but only if its still running in some form or another

Quite a few of cheated are posting on here. I think someone must have posted a link on one of the wedding sites to come here. Probably in hope the person or persons are on here and someone knows them. Trying to get information. I would bet they are hitting several photo forum sites trying to flush the people out.

Or it's the same vicious loser claiming damages by poor guy that didn't kiss their ass.

Too bad there isnt a resellerratings site for wedding photographers.

There is... its called TheKnot.com and brides vote there without the wedding photographers even being allowed to reply. If they do, the posts are summarily deleted and I believe that they are banned, or something like that.

There is... its called TheKnott.com and brides vote there without the wedding photographers even being allowed to reply. If they do, the posts are summarily deleted and I believe that they are banned, or something like that.

Ah OK didnt know that. But then I dont plan on getting married soon anyhow. Besides I have far too many pro shooters in my family so, I would be covered.

Caught me before I could fix my link... lol
The Knot is a wedding forum and one of the aspects it discusses is photography/photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back