Bad news for photographers who fly.

They swabbed my gear bag and then I almost lost a 32GB card through security last week, got it back 10 minutes later. I really didnt want them to pull part my camera bag omg that would be a pain in the u know.

Flying again tomorrow I hope it goes smooth.

It's all a ploy to get tourists to spend more in the USA lol. Forces people coming in to leave their stuff at home and buy pricey camera's, tablets, laptops in the USA . That's why they can flout out without a problem afterwards. ( cause the money is spent. :) )

When I was shooting for a living ... hell, even now ... I never check my cameras and bag. I always carried them with me. The Treasury Department people always took camera bags apart when shooting the president. They looked through every lens and every camera ... no big deal as long as you're there to supervise and assist.

I remember returning to the USA with my g/f from Paris. We were having a final meal at the airport when I realized the plane was taking off without us. I grabbed our nearly full bottle of wine and we ran through check-in and bordered with the bottle. At every checkpoint we were sharing the wine with the airport/airline personnel. Once onboard we passed the bottle amongst the passengers and flight attendants. The good ol' days.

When I was shooting for a living ... hell, even now ... I never check my cameras and bag. I always carried them with me. The Treasury Department people always took camera bags apart when shooting the president. They looked through every lens and every camera ... no big deal as long as you're there to supervise and assist.

I remember returning to the USA with my g/f from Paris. We were having a final meal at the airport when I realized the plane was taking off without us. I grabbed our nearly full bottle of wine and we ran through check-in and bordered with the bottle. At every checkpoint we were sharing the wine with the airport/airline personnel. Once onboard we passed the bottle amongst the passengers and flight attendants. The good ol' days.

Must of been prop planes and the seats had ash trays in them. It was glamorous flying back in them days, no doubt.

So if this only applies to certain countries flying INTO the US, what if you fly into that said country and then needed to fly back home? You can't bring your camera back? Even if you're a US citizen?

I'm confused.

From what I understand, this ban may only be temporary.

I'm scared to death to fly within my own country as it is, there are so many horror stories about TSA vs photographers. Its almost not even worth bringing my camera gear if I'm going to fly somewhere. Just seems like a PITA to me.

I think it is temporary and was issued because of some intelligence but not apparently a specific threat. People will have to travel like it's 1999.

This is out of control. I guess you will need a super high end type luggage bag to check your gear in with? I'd want to lock it, who's to say someone don't grab something
The only way to send camera gear now is either as carry-on, or freight. NO WAY I would allow my bags to go through luggage security.

Exactly. I knew a baggage handler that told me some stories about all of the stuff his coworkers would steal out of checked luggage. I never check anything except clothes and shoes.

I just flew over the past few weeks. My camera in my carry-on backpack was "inspected" several times. At least they didn't take it out and handle it or my lenses. They just peeked in the bag.

The TSA do tend to pull my camera bag out for special inspection - I just expect it at this point and plan extra time. We'll see how it goes next time when I have my newly acquired TSA pre check status.

The most thorough bag inspection I've experienced so far wasn't at the airport, it was at Gillette Stadium and it wasn't even a Pats game - it was the high school super bowl event. The security guard removed the lens caps front and back of both extra lenses I had in my bag and took everything out and checked the inside padding for pockets. 2nd place goes to Universal Orlando where the guard at the security checkpoint opened the tiny little SD card slot on my camera strap. WTF was he expecting to find in there?

pened the tiny little SD card slot on my camera strap. WTF was he expecting to find in there?

A micro thermal nuclear device?????

The most thorough bag inspection I've experienced so far wasn't at the airport, it was at Gillette Stadium and it wasn't even a Pats game - it was the high school super bowl event. The security guard removed the lens caps front and back of both extra lenses I had in my bag and took everything out and checked the inside padding for pockets. 2nd place goes to Universal Orlando where the guard at the security checkpoint opened the tiny little SD card slot on my camera strap. WTF was he expecting to find in there?
Both more thorough than when I was within 25-feet of Hillary Clinton. The guy just goes, "turn it on... ok".

The wife and I fly quite often, I always have a camera and I have never had a problem with TSA. Personally I think there are about 6 stories out there that keep getting rewritten and re-posted.

Most reactions

Back