Bad news for photographers who fly.

Really? I didn't know you were synced with my calendar. Besides, someone over here is going to think it's a good idea and implement it here.

but was i wrong?

correct, people love removing freedoms in the name of freedom.

Okay, a little bit of detail here....

1. I agree with the post about how I NEVER check my camera gear. It is always carry-on for me. Lesson learned the hard way when I was flying from Bradley Field in Ct. to DCA on a straight flight, my assistant checked 2 bags of camera gear at the curb while I was parking the car and both bags never made it and were eventually found a month later with all the camera gear gone from them. I NEVER check my camera gear.

2. This is only for flights originating from those specific countries. You can still fly on even international flights with your camera gear. In fact, FAA rules PROHIBIT you from putting lithium-ion batteries in your checked bags so you need to carry those on anyway.

3. I suspect given the specificity of this and that the Brits followed the same restrictions, that this is in response to some very specific intelligence. There is an extremist group (I believe in Syria but I may have the country wrong) that has been focusing on trying to get bombs on to airplanes. I suspect that intel found that they were focusing on putting explosives in to laptops and hiding triggers within the circuitry. Let me explain: the fluids ban came about when the IC found out that al-Qaeda was looking at adding liquid to some explosives, putting it in bottles, then on a long flight, the bomber would go in to the rest room with the shampoo/mouthwash bottles and some pantyhose, strain out the explosive, shape the charge, add the detonator, then return to the seat (strategically chosen to be over a key structural element like control wires or auxiliary fuel tank) and detonate. But to make this work you required a lot of liquid. Thus, the restrictions on the size of liquid containers with TSA.

4. You can still fly to those countries with your gear. But then you're going to have a problem flying back to the US from that country without checking your gear. The solution is to fly from that country to someplace like Paris or Madrid. Get off, get on a different flight, and then you can carry-on your gear.

They swabbed my gear bag and then I almost lost a 32GB card through security last week, got it back 10 minutes later. I really didnt want them to pull part my camera bag omg that would be a pain in the u know.

Flying again tomorrow I hope it goes smooth.

I had a $3k Tag Heuer watch stolen at Qatar airport transfer security last week. Airport security and police were uninterested.

The stupid thing is that this ban is easily bypassed.

Terrorist A buys a ticket from Lebanon to NYC direct, has to check his laptop loaded with explosives. Terrorist B Buys one flight from Lebanon to Germany (not UK as UK has a similar ban) and then a flight from Germany to NYC. He can take the laptop on both flights.

It's yet more security theatre.

They swabbed my gear bag and then I almost lost a 32GB card through security last week, got it back 10 minutes later. I really didnt want them to pull part my camera bag omg that would be a pain in the u know.

Flying again tomorrow I hope it goes smooth.

I had a $3k Tag Heuer watch stolen at Qatar airport transfer security last week. Airport security and police were uninterested.

The stupid thing is that this ban is easily bypassed.

Terrorist A buys a ticket from Lebanon to NYC direct, has to check his laptop loaded with explosives. Terrorist B Buys one flight from Lebanon to Germany (not UK as UK has a similar ban) and then a flight from Germany to NYC. He can take the laptop on both flights.

It's yet more security theatre.[/QUOTE

It is well established that airport security checks are just optics largely

wake up sheeple! This is a clear attempt by railroad enthusiasts to get us to ride trains.

what do you think goes on at those model railroad clubs? why do you think they're always so hushed and awkward when you attend one of their "public" demonstrations?

I'm not sure the ban will spread to other airports, as it's nothing to do with security and everything to do with protectionism.

US airlines have been struggling to compete with Emirates, Qatar, Ethihad and Turkish Airlines (allegedly because those airlines are part funded by their governments), so now they've managed to inconvenience their passengers by including all their Hub airports in the ban. Business travellers will probably now switch to other airlines rather than surrender their laptops.

Even the initial announcements said it was NOT in response to any specific threat. And it's clearly not a real security measure, as a terrorists could easily get around the ban by going via a European airport.

As photographers, we've just been impacted by the politics of business.

Most reactions

Back