BAD PIXELS???? EMERGENCY!?!?!?

RMThompson

the TPF moderators rock my world!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Help.

I had a LONG shoot today, and I was just going through them on Picasa, and I noticed something on the stomach of the model. I look again, and its on every single PICTURE.

Are these dead/bad pixels???

badpixelsnm6.jpg

Ive over saturated the picture for effect, and I think I can PP these out, since they are so small... but is this the end of my Canon A610!??!?!

sadly, they do look dead or hot. If it is showing up in all your pictures, you're going to need to send it in to have the sensor replaced (happened on my *istDL), but if it isn't a new camera, it may just be time to trash the camera, or use it only has backup (since the pixels are very easy to PP out)

sadly, they do look dead or hot. If it is showing up in all your pictures, you're going to need to send it in to have the sensor replaced (happened on my *istDL), but if it isn't a new camera, it may just be time to trash the camera, or use it only has backup (since the pixels are very easy to PP out)

After freaking out, I noticed not ALL the pictures had it... you say HEAT can do this? I used this camera for about 300 pictures today

After freaking out, I noticed not ALL the pictures had it... you say HEAT can do this? I used this camera for about 300 pictures today

my mistake, it isnt a hot pixel (not temperature) because hot pixels are white. Those appear to be stuck or dead, meaning they are stuck displaying certain colors.

I had a green spot like the upper spot you have on my camera, it came suddenly from what i could tell but after I noticed it, every picture afterwards had that spot, so I sent my camera back and they replaced the CCD.

Heat can have an impact on the pixels, usually it's heat that comes from a long exposure, but ambient temp can be a factor.

I did have a hot pixel problem on my 300D, it only really showed up like the above (not even that bad) at high ISO. Once I knew where to look though I could find that pixel in every image. Canon replaced the sensor assembly under warranty at the time.

try taking out battery and letting camera sit.
I've heard, never tried, that stuck pixels can get unstuck.

try taking out battery and letting camera sit.
I've heard, never tried, that stuck pixels can get unstuck.

not sure how it works for sensors, but with monitors stuck pixels can and do get unstuck. You can do so by flashing solid colors on the screen, applying pressure to the stuck pixel (reconnecting it somehow on the circuitry level that i dont understand) and sometimes just time itself. I dont really know how it works on a sensor because I understand how a display has issues, but the sensor is the input.

You might be able to update your firmware. Apparently most (some?) sensors have the odd bad or stuck pixels, but firmware helps map them out and use adjacent pixels to ignore and make up for the dead/stuck ones.

I had to get my sensor replaced when i had bad pixels that suddenly appeared. Luckily it was under warranty.
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63870

You say its not on all the pics.. did it get gradually more noticeable or suddenly? Does it ever go away completely? I thought mine got better but i realized that it is just shows up more for lighter pictures.

Wow this is a long time ago, but in case someone else with this problem ever reads this, I took the batteries out and let the camera cool... and never noticed it again.

That camera (Canon A610) took a beating that day, 300 pics with that Point and Shoot was pretty amazing.

Generally you get these on long exposures of a few seconds or more. I have a few - in fact most cameras have them....... try shooting a 30 sec exposure with the lens cap on......

Even my Nikon D200 has dead pixels on certain settings. ISO1250 at 1/20th gives me 3. ISO800 at 1/30th, 1. Anything with a lower iso or faster speed, no problem.

EOS_JD I did a 2 hour exposure of the night sky with my D200, and the batteries died just before NR finished!!! I spent a good 2 hours mapping out dead pixels, the crap picture sooo wasn't worth it LOL.

Most reactions

Back